Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Closing/restricting use around Canyonlands N.P.

I think I need to write some letters to numerous companies explaining that I will no long be buying any of their products. Read the attached webpage and be sure to open the link to the letter and see who is endorsing "protecting" the federal lands around Canyonlands National Park by restricting activities except for their vision, and theirs alone, of how those public lands are to be used.

"...Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude...."

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6817161/ed ... s-in-utah/

Herb

Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Closing/restricting use around Canyonlands N.P.

Oh, just wonderful.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Team

It's really disappointing to see a number of Moab-local businesses supporting the effort. There's at least 1 or 2 Moab tour companies that support it. Hmmmm, we won't allow personal vehicles in the area, but you can pay us to take you through the area...

Herb

[EDIT: I wonder how those same Moab businesses would feel if Easter Jeep Safari, or any of a number of other large events in Moab was moved somewhere else?]
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

I just threw up in my mouth

Some credence to the claims
but to write to a political joke, probably not born in the USA
who wants to socialize the country and take away our guns

sheesh

maybe they can protect the canyonlands w/ drones and we
can just stay home an watch it on socialized government tv

i hope they all freeze in the dark

spiritual Bill Wilson
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

Haven't you heard, No Politik'n! But amen to that.........
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

The (later) comments at the bottom of the blog page are interesting & worth reading, including one from Bill Burke.

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6817161/ed ... s-in-utah/

-- Geoff
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

There is a much more balanced discussion going on over at Expedition Portal.

No offence to Herb, but I think these threads tend to be coloured by the initial post. Also, I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiments here (I'd like to do the White Rim myself someday), but the ExPo thread does give some hope that things may not be as bad as the FourWheeler link would have you believe. Obviously, more detail is required from the OIA regarding their proposal.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
There is a much more balanced discussion going on over at Expedition Portal.

No offence to Herb, but I think these threads tend to be coloured by the initial post. Also, I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiments here (I'd like to do the White Rim myself someday), but the ExPo thread does give some hope that things may not be as bad as the FourWheeler link would have you believe. Obviously, more detail is required from the OIA regarding their proposal.

Cheers,
Brent
No doubt Brent, but editorialism aside of the FourWheeler post, discussion here, and discussion on ExPo, the only thing that really matters is the letter that is linked in the FourWheeler post. Letters like that will be read by some White House/Congressional staffer and if it strikes a particular chord with that staffer they will bring it to the attention of their boss and a bill will be drafted. Which way do you think that bill would go, towards a mild-mannered implementation of restrictions and protections, or a heavy-handed knee-jerk overreaction that will slam the door on balanced access? I know which way I think it would go.

Herb
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Garage

This sort of thing has been going on in Utah since before the days of Glen Canyon Dam and the Echo Park controversy. This fight will go on for more generations and well past this president and the next and the next...

As one who has lived and worked in Utah for 40 years, all I can say is don't be sucked into this gloom and doom, end of life as we know it, nonsense. Stay on the trails and don't act like you can or need to drive everywhere on the planet and I think your privileges will be protected. By the way, since the beginning of the last oil and gas boom several years ago, I have seen far more use and access of off-road activity in Utah than ever before. Places like Moab DO value their customers, it just happens that you (we) are not the only ones.

Yes, it is very political and no, I don't think this discussion belongs in this forum- it poisons the atmosphere for all!
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu1
This sort of thing has been going on in Utah since before the days of Glen Canyon Dam and the Echo Park controversy. This fight will go on for more generations and well past this president and the next and the next...

As one who has lived and worked in Utah for 40 years, all I can say is don't be sucked into this gloom and doom, end of life as we know it, nonsense. Stay on the trails and don't act like you can or need to drive everywhere on the planet and I think your privileges will be protected. By the way, since the beginning of the last oil and gas boom several years ago, I have seen far more use and access of off-road activity in Utah than ever before. Places like Moab DO value their customers, it just happens that you (we) are not the only ones.

Yes, it is very political and no, I don't think this discussion belongs in this forum- it poisons the atmosphere for all!
Yep, these discussions have been going on for years, and will continue to go on for years. No argument. At the same time, the list of Federal and state property that has been placed off limits for motorized recreation grows each and every year.

Where I 100% disagree with you is stating that this discussion is inappropriate for this forum. Without access to open spaces, SMB's will only be camping in Walmart parking lots and KOAs. I don't think any part of this discussion has been poisonous at all. Agree or don't agree with statements made here, that's absolutely your right. There are many issues on this forum that are FAR more contentious, and I can only think of one subject that has been banned from further discussion (but even on that subject, the earlier posts remain here for people to make up their own minds).

Herb