Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #21

Thank you Steve for the follow up. When you were deciding to buy one or not I tried to be accurate as to what my experience has been. I wanted to avoid having you pull up in the driveway to have a "discussion". BTW - That's a great picture of your current office.

Thanks again and keep those office pictures coming.
-Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
When you were deciding to buy one or not I tried to be accurate as to what my experience has been. I wanted to avoid having you pull up in the driveway to have a "discussion".
No problem... despite my pathetic incomprehension of things like circuitry, I try to be realistic about expectations like this. My biggest disappointment was the fact that the cell signals really don't seem to carry as far up the various canyons as I thought they might. I had thought they'd be stronger and carry further. Purely an ignorance of those realities on my part (and of course, wishful thinking too). I had never really thought - or cared - about it before I decided to try the "mobile office" with connectivity for this current trip.

The booster appears to work as billed within the limitations of the cell signals, but my hopes were greater for getting further away from the rabble stuck down in civilization.

Of course, my co-workers are rather jealous... but it's in the contract I am allowed to work remote - no clause or definition as to where that "remote" happens to be!!!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #23

We just got back from a 10-day trip up into Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and I used our 4G booster a few times. It definitely got me signal where there were very few, or in one case, no, bars. Even boosted from 1x to 3G data service in one place.

Like you, I had big expectations for it when I bought it, and was initially disappointed in its performance. I guess I was expecting 4-5 bars when I started with one. I'm using the 12" magnet-mount antenna; I may have to try that directional setup.

I had a hard time paying that much for the booster, too, but on our month-long XC trip last summer I was working one day each week, so really needed the ability to have a reliable cell signal. On the trip last week, it also allowed me to work a day or two when I probably otherwise would not have been able to.

I love being a virtual worker! That, coupled with a very cool and understanding boss, goes a long way toward work-life balance.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger View Post
My biggest disappointment was the fact that the cell signals really don't seem to carry as far up the various canyons as I thought they might.
As I understand the problem with cell is that the antennas on cell towers are directional and have a fairly narrow focus which is why in cities we see several antennas arranged around a tower pole to cover a 360* area. In more remote locations, like along an interstate, the antennas are often only focused parallel to the highway (where most people are) and none are focused perpendicular to the sides. So this makes a very defined line where cell signal is awesome and then drops to zero only a mile or two up that side road. I have seen this often along the 40 in Arizona and New Mexico. I kind of believe this theory because it would explain the times I can see a cluster of towers in the distance with the binoculars and I have no signal. It is hit n miss but having a booster offers a tool that can, and often dose, help a lot.

Another theory I have heard from radio folks is that bandwidth of data is prioritized to those who have the best signal. So in remote areas that have only one tower that gets busy with a lot of people will slow to a crawl. Especially for those will the weakest signal. So the booster will make you present to the tower as if your a stronger signal and you will get more band width. I'm not sure about this theory as a conscious decision by the tower or just a mater of physics. I have tried it and experienced better data speed during a peak time of day where very early in the morning I didn't need the booster. So I dunno. I have no cell tower experience(if someone is please educate us), just passing on what I recently heard.

Anyway, It's all fun.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #25

If you're still out here, I found a good camp spot with absolutely no one around that had cell service and only about a 20 minute dirt road drive off I-70. PM me if you want the location.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #26

It was here
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee Explorer View Post
It was here
Wow, was that somewhere in South America?

Herb
Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Wow, was that somewhere in South America?

Herb
No, just Colorado
Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #29

I was thinking Down Under in Australia...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #30

Yeah I don't know why the picture is inverted but if you click on it it's oriented correctly. Weird.