Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Colorado "boondocking" with cell service?

I know this is a jingle-arsed request, but I am looking for a good place I can boondock camp in the mountains of Colorado that happens to have decent cell service. I wish to be able to work from my camp and need the cell service to VPN in.

In all the time I spent in the Colorado mountains, I never bothered to worry about it, but if I am going to make my trip work I have to be able to put in some work time and I don't want to waste van camping days in some town.

Anyone by chance stumble across a particularly notable spot that would fit the bill?

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 AM   #2

Can't help you on that, but I will suggest investing in a Wilson cell phone booster. I got one for my month-long trip last year and it definitely helped. I telecommute for work, too, and worked a few days on the trip via VPN. A great option that helps extend time on the road!

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/web...er-kit-470510/
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Colorado "boondocking" with cell service?

We found some great spots up on Guenella pass, I believe several had service. Also buffalo pass may be another one, close to steamboat.
http://www.uncovercolorado.com/best-camping-colorado/
This is another option, outside of Granby, can get busy on weekends with quads and bikes, we were able to find some quiet spots further in, spotty cell service
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_677d.htm
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

I did not have service (AT&T) on Guanella Pass, at least not above the hydroelectric plant....

It is super nice up there though!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Alta Lakes at 10,000' near Telluride.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

+1 on the wilson cell boosters......I have both a 3G and a 4G setup and they work great in low signal conditions.

They can turn a very frustrating hot spot/wireless experience into a normal one.

However, they don't do anything when there is no cell service at all.....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Have one too, maybe that's why we had service in some of those areas with spotty coverage.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
We found some great spots up on Guenella pass, I believe several had service. Also buffalo pass may be another one, close to steamboat.
Best Camping In Colorado | Campgrounds and Sites
This is another option, outside of Granby, can get busy on weekends with quads and bikes, we were able to find some quiet spots further in, spotty cell service
Stillwater Pass - Colorado Motorcycle and ATV Trails

Nice links, REF... thanks!

Thanks to the rest of you responders as well!

Reviews on those Wilsons seem to be a bit mixed, but they generally are with any technology potentially more difficult than a hammer. Wasn't really thinking to spend $500, but I'll ponder it for a couple weeks before I have to load up and roll. The potential gain in income from the added work time must be kept in perspective!!

And of course there is the inestimable value of posting pictures of me working in my "remote office" for my colleagues...
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #9

I agree on the cell booster, there are lots of them in use here in Alaska. You can get a low cost amp and antenna for under $100

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-cell-pho...oosters?id=bng

A poor signal can sometimes be improved by simply moving around a bit since cell signals are pretty much line of sight. Even moving your phone to the top of the van can make the difference between no signal and a usable one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Greetings GrumpyBadger, I wanted to offer a few links to info that might make your stay in Colorado more enjoyable. As far as Cell booster I also would recommend using one if your looking for more camping options further from town or even perpendicular a few miles from a major highway.

Here is a blog wright up about the Wilson Sleek by Bob Wells at CheapRvLiving. I thought all cell boosters were just expensive snake oil but Bob's blog seemed convincing. I have exactly the same set up as his and I've had the same experience he describes.

Part 1 - Cheap RV Living.com -Review of the Wilson Sleek Cell Amplifier and Directional Antenna

part 2 - Cheap RV Living.com -Review and Installation of Wilson Sleek and Directional Antenna: Part 2

Second as far as boondocking and off pavement. The MVUM maps found on Stay the Trail Colorado have been very useful.
Stay The Trail Colorado - Stay The Trail
I have them downloaded onto the phone and which will place my exact position right on the virtual paper map. No cell connection needed just GPS in the phone or tablet. I use these to find dispersed camp spots as to avoid crowded designated camp locations. The precision on knowing exactly what dirt road I'm on is great because often the rules for camping varies widely on each road. Or you'll think that camping isn't allowed but in fact it is. Just a warning though the MVUM maps aren't as friendly as a AAA map to understand/orientate. They take some getting used to.

Anyway, wish you a great adventure and if I can be of assistance please ask.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote