Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #11

what Lilnuts2 said above is probably the best advice. The spray foam is a great solution, but gonna be expensive.

How long are you gonna be in this house? If long term, do it once and do it right.

rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #12

If your goal for insulation is to be able to heat the shop, then putting a ceiling in will do way more than adding insulation to the underside of the roof. You can insulate the underside of the roof and walls all you want but the heat will rise and sit above your rafters. You will spend a fortune on electricity and propane. If you are in a cold climate, heating a large space with a high ceiling like you have will still be expensive even with a ceiling. I live in North Idaho and have 12 foot eaves and 30x30 shop and heating it in winter is just not practical. I will dress warm and use a radiant space heater near where I work. This is energy efficient and I'm still comfortable in sub freezing temps.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Garage
You can also get foil- or FSK ("Foil-Scrim-Kraft") faced batts which don't need a fire barrier like drywall. I have a workship done entirely this way (walls and truss roof). Various mfrs. make them up to R49, but you probably won't find anything more than R30 at your local big box store.
danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #14

HD stocks R38
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #15

As Lilnuts suggested, drywall is primo for fire retardent. You can probably rent the drywall jack at home depot.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #16

Type X sheetrock provides a little fire protection. It is thicker and made with a material that holds itself together a little longer Regular sheetrock fails quickly in a garage fire.
Happy Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #17

Type X has a UL fire rating to it. Unlike standard sheetrock. Any wall or ceiling common to a garage and living area is code required to have type X drywall on it. that is taped and fire sealed.
Denver, CO
Old 10-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Type X has a UL fire rating to it. Unlike standard sheetrock. Any wall or ceiling common to a garage and living area is code required to have type X drywall on it. that is taped and fire sealed.
That is correct, Lilnuts thanks for mentioning that. We were discussing garage so I assumed everyone knows that the drywall in garages are different as far as code. I would'nt want people to start drywalling the garage with standard drywall and think they are fire proofing it.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #19

It should be noted that garages are only required to have type X drywall when there is a common wall or floor with living space. If your garage is freestanding and more the 5' from the house, type X is not required.
Denver, CO
Old 11-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #20

Yes, well aware of the rating required as the garage is 4' from the house.

Ended up just going with R-19 faced batt for now. It'll be a huge improvement and when everything is mobile again we can get a drywall lift and/or scaffold (12' ceiling) in and do the dirty work. Then if we're feeling fancy, spray in some cellulose.

Heating - yes. Currently a 220V unit heater but thinking about getting one of those all-in-one diesel heaters for it, if I can find a good spot for the exhaust. I have a propane salamander but always feel like I'm pushing my luck running it in there.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote