Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

Re: Digital SLR camera advice

Like you, I came from a film body before the times of autofocus. Here's what I would look for coming from that background.

Since I was used to controlling both aperture and shutter speed in full manual mode, then I appreciate a body that has 2 control dials (one for the thumb, one for the index finger) so that I can change aperture and shutter speed in manual mode without having to press any buttons.

I like to be able to switch between Manual (M), Aperture Priority (A or Av), Shutter Priority (S or Tv) and Program (P) modes without having to go into menus.

You might have a predisposition towards the way a camera "feels". Things like size, balance, grip, viewfinder size and coverage, and location of controls. There is no substitute for picking the cameras up in your own hands to see what feels best. Nikon and Canon have different ergonomics. You should try them both in a store.

Both brands make great cameras. All other things being equal, newer is generally better.

handjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Most of the photos in my gallery are from a 12 megapixel Nikon D5000 (reduced in size 4:1). The D5000 is a step down from the D90 you're considering. I've been really happy with it. The Nikons just feel beefier than the Canons, but I will add that the reason I finally bought the SLR is that my 10-year old Canon Digital Elph was stolen. I had almost reached 10,000 photos on that camera!

I have an old Nikon 4004 film SLR (20 years old). The lenses from that era of camera will fit on the D5000 body, but autofocus will not work. The 18-55 lens that came with the camera is good, but the 18-105 would be a nice improvement. To be honest, the 18mm wide angle has given me more unique shots than a stronger zoom would.

If it was me, I'd go with the Nikon, but bottom line is you probably can't go wrong with any choices and should choose the one that best fits the way you'll use it.

One last thought - my wife blew up two of my photos from a recent vacation to 22" x 30" and framed them. There is no pixelation even at that size with the 12 megapixel camera.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #13

I've have the 7D with the 18-135mm lens for about 6 months now after upgrading from an older Rebel. I'm not a full time photographer, but I am an full time artist who used it for a public art commission that I'm working on. It is a very large jump up from the Rebel. I have never regretted this purchase. I like the lens a lot and it has met all my needs, however I'm guessing that photographers accustomed to high end equipment would prefer a fancier lens. I would consider the 60D if I was purchasing today, but it wasn't available at the time I got my camera.

Also, I recently bought the Canon Speedlite 270EX flash and really like it.

Good luck,

Leo
leoberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #14

Garage

Herb, you know i'm into this stuff pretty deep. I do shoot Canon, but they're all good. I think you'll like the 60D, and save a few bucks over the 7D which you probably don't need and would never know thew difference. BTW, there are adapter rings to mount the Contax/Yashica Zeiss lenses on the Canon EOS mount. Those Zeiss are sure purty. I own four of the modern Zeiss lenses that fit right in my Canon bodies.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Herb, you know i'm into this stuff pretty deep. I do shoot Canon, but they're all good. I think you'll like the 60D, and save a few bucks over the 7D which you probably don't need and would never know thew difference. BTW, there are adapter rings to mount the Contax/Yashica Zeiss lenses on the Canon EOS mount. Those Zeiss are sure purty. I own four of the modern Zeiss lenses that fit right in my Canon bodies.
Jeffrey, I was actually debating PM'img you. Your recommendations are right along the lines I'm starting to lean, where initially I was leaning towards the 7D. One difference I did notice between the 60D and 7D is that while the 7D has a magnesium body, the 60D has a "Polycarbonate resin with glass fiber on aluminum chassis." Sounds like a Corvette with a fiberglass body on a metal frame. Not necessarily bad, but it's a big change from the (film) SLRs I'm used to.

Herb
Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #16

Wife has a Nikon D5000
came from Ritz camera, two lenses

We really like the movable LED view finder
low shots, over head, really works well

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
Site Team

Well, everything points to the foremost conclusion that I'm not going to go wrong with any of these choices. Just like an SMB, it's all about tradeoffs.

FWIW, I found the site below to have EXTENSIVE, and well though-out, camera reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Herb
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #18

I've had Nikon cameras for the past 30+ years, starting with a 35mm film FG. I bought a Nikon D100 digital SLR when the price of the body got down to below $2000 and then purchased a D300 a year or two ago when it was the top of the line (other than the full-frame models). I love the D300 and one review of the D90 states that "...the CMOS sensor, which Nikon claim produces D300 quality output at up to ISO 6400 and, one of several features to 'trickle down' from higher models, the same highly acclaimed 3.0-inch VGA screen as the D3/D300." The 3" VGA screen is super nice...bright and easy to see the image in the sunlight. The D90 has Live View (where you can compose the image on the VGA screen) as does my D300 but I rarely use it.

I've had only one problem with my three Nikons and that was due to the micro-hard drive used in the D100 (that was before large flash drives were available)...the micro-drive crashed and caused a problem with the firmware. Otherwise, no problems at all.

Ultimately, the quality of the pictures you take will depend on the lens. If you tend to only look at your pictures on the computer, you'll be happy with the normal lens. But if you want to enlarge photos, a better lens may be needed. A 12.3 megapixel camera can't take good photos with a cheap, plastic lens. I have several Nikon lenses but the one I keep on the camera is a 18-200mm one with stabilization...the 18mm is a nice wide angle and the 200mm gets in close most of the time.

But like others have said, it is like Ford vs Chevy....I'm just a Nikon guy...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #19

I personally have a Canon D50 and LOVE it. A few years ago I went Nikon when I went Digital and had a Nightmare with their Warranty Dept. They lost my camera and wanted to send me a refurbrished as replacement. They made a lot of promises they didn't keep. It took 4 mos to get a settlement. I have a bad taste for them. They have Lost my future business. It's Canon for me. Kinda like Jage's transport deal.

Paul
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #20

It sounds like you want a more professional camera, but we have a Nikon P100. A great little camera for carrying in the van - if you only carry one camera.

The best feature is the zoom - 26X optical zoom!

Fairly small, lightweight and inexpensive.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote