Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Do you like the XM-Sirius merger?

SO do you like the new merger? I have Sirius and have been told how great the merger would be. Like I expected these two companies have gone the same route as the cable conglomerates taking away some channels and replacing them with others. They also re-programmed a few channels but kept the same names. Overall I feel like I’m getting screwed. This might not be true for some, but loosing a single station more or less hit me hard. Time will tell if I keep the service. What the hell happened with merging the two and just adding the channels from each? For the sake of ease, merger is “20 channels of Sirius plus 20 channels of XM equals 40 channels total”. My guess is there will be a premium price to get better programming down the road. Yeah right!!! I don’t need the crap channels with multi language junk not to mention the stuff that offends me. How did I know this was going to happen?
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

Garage
I'm VERY UNHAPPY.

Everyone has their favorite channels, but mine are now terrible. I never liked the XM equivalent of the same genre channels on Sirius, and now XM's taken over. And their PR in emails is the biggest pile of lying crap. The program directors don't know enough about the music to keep it real. Sadly, I really liked my old favorite channel, and now it's gone.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

If our SMB didn't have a "lifetime" Sirius subscription, I wouldn't even have satellite radio. I listen to at most 3-4 Sirius stations with any regularity. I'm not overly thrilled with the programming of the music genre stations I do like. I'd much rather listen over and over to the same 200 songs on my 2GB MP3 player than most radio stations, whether satellite or RF.

But to get back to the point, I don't see any positives to the merger of the only two competitors in any market.

Herb
Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #4

We were happy with XM before the merger.
We are not crazy about personnel changes that were made. Seems like the new (to us) on-air talent are all on high energy drinks. When it gets too tiring (or boring) we switch over to the Ipod for awhile.

It's still better than listening to commercials.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #5

I only had XM on DirecTV so it was limited channels. I had a few faves that are no longer the same. They reduced the number of channels too.

Pretty much sux.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I think Charlie and I may listen to the same channels....

We were very happy with XM prior to the merger. We listen to a handfull of channels regularly. The most often listended to channel has new on-air folks, and we like the former folks better.

We have not been on the road enough to really absorb all the change yet, but will have a bunch of time over the next five days to get a better impression.

BUT the most important question is.... As an XM subscriber, am I going to be ablt to listen to the OU vs Tech football game that looks to be broadcast on Sirius 122/123 ?????

I cannot tell if the game will be Broadcast on the Big 12 XM station (~240).

Any ideas?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We were lucky enough to find the Tech vs OU game on XM radio because we could not get regular radio reception well in BBRSP.

I continue to be of a mind that the old On-air personalities on XM were better.

....but I think I do like some of the new stations available to an XM subscriber from Sirius. We listened to the Margaritaville station one day and enjoyed it. The E-Street station also sounds like it might be good.

It sounds like there is still some time before the lineup settles out.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

as an xm sub first, I am not happy. A few of the rock channels I listen to now have regular dj's now.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #9

Ours came with it also, i think 2 more years.

Yep many have changed and most people aren't happy. I've been reading negative comments the whole time since this change.

The thing i hate is listening to the same 30 songs on a road trip, cause that seems to be the amount of songs a station may have
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #10

I have Sirius in my Tacoma, have had it for 3 years now. I have never listened to it that much. I absolutely can not stand the lo-res encoding. It's worse than mp3's, by far. Maybe I am sensitive to it, I am a professional audio engineer. I was all ready to cancel my subscription until they came out with the Grateful Dead channel. That kept me subscribing for the time being, but it's still on thin ice for me. As soon as I burn out on their Dead playlists, I'm done with sat radio.