Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Dutch Oven Cooking?

We're heading off to N Rim GC (Toroweap) on Friday and will be taking a dutch oven to cook a few meals. This is our first big adventure with both the SMB AND the Oven

Does anyone else here on the Forum use these?

-Jeff

canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #2

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I just bought one and am anxious to try out also...12" Lodge. Flip top over to make a griddle.

Googled some great recipies online too...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

Interesting
No Dutch Oven but we are headed there next Monday (arrive Tuesday) for 2-3 days along the north rim then up into UT for the rest of the week. Do you have anyway of posting current trail blazing conditions from the road?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

Garage
it's been awhile - but I did a fair amount of Dutch Oven cooking while working as a mtn bike guide for Western Spirit in the early 90's out of Moab.

The key is get some charcoal going and when the coals are starting to put out some serious heat put maybe a dozen or so on the lid and about 1.5 times underneath. Sit back, enjoy a few cocktails and voila! dinner is served.

I remember that Peach cobbler was pretty much a no-brainer (use one of the Jiffy muffin mixes and slice up a few peaches..) and the enchiladas and lasagna were always a hit w/ the clients. When you get real crafty yu start stcking the dutch ovens w/ a few briquettes in between and you can cook a whole multi-course meal w/ nothing other than 2 or 3 dutch oven and some charcoal.

If this is your first time w/ dutch ovens make sure to pend the time and properly season the oven. It will make cleanup so much easier.

cheers,

-d
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #5

Use them all time when on river trips and I keep at least one stored in the SMB under floor storage for special dinners.

I have three of the light weight aluminum Dutch ovens which are a little more finicky but a lot lighter than the cast iron ovens. With the cast aluminum ovens, you must be more careful to evenly distribute hot coals on both the top and bottom, to avoid uneven heating and possible cracking of the aluminum. Other than that they work the same as the cast iron ones, and don't rust.

The 12 inch oven that I use has no attached legs, so that I can use it on the propane stove in the SMB in bad weather. I works great for stews or enchildadas indoors as well, just without any additional heat on top. Outside, it sits on a metal trivet so that you can place coals underneath it.

If you have an hour or two to cook dinner, you can't beat Dutch oven cooking. I made Bison Enchiladas in the Dutch oven in Death Valley that were to die for, with real ground Bison, hot chilis, corn and sharp cheddar.

Other great dishes are fresh baked cinnamon rolls for breakfast, a quick quiche, or the star dinner from last summer Montana organic pork ribs with a spicy rub. Wowsa!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

Charlie,

I heard the (toroweap) road opens officially May15th. Other than that, I do not know. We'll be in the areathis weekend, then on into Utah, so we might see you.

Ed and others...thanks for the tips, I'm even more excited now to use this thing! Our oven is properly seasoned...now we just need to cook somehing

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I have been using dutch ovens for longer than I can remember. We have two cast iron models. The ones that seem to work the best for us are those with the lid that has a lip around the top to help hold the coals.

Alta's description was right on.

Mmmmmm I can taste the cobler now.....

AND I am really glad to hear that they fit in the under floor storage!!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote