Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #11

Electric drive does have several advantages.

Full torque can be applied at 0 rpm. Having this available when high torque is needed from a standing start helps a lot for a massive vehicle or when beginning on a steep grade. Trains began using oil-electric transmissions in the early 20th century and moved on to gasoline-electric then diesel-electric in a short time.

Quick acceleration is also possible. The Tesla Model S P100D goes from 0-60 in 2.275507139 sec. (Or so the stopwatch says. )

There is no clutch and no gears; maintenance on locomotives and ships tends to be much lower with this type drive.

Ships and locomotives, however, have no batteries. The engine is direct drive connected to a generator and the generator provides power to the electric wheel motors. This is very efficient for high mass vehicles like trains and ships.

Auto efficiency is a different matter. Batteries are required for all-electric and hybrid designs. Lithium is making a big difference while ultra-capacitors are still a futuristic pipe dream. I imagine almost everyone here understands the limitations of having a battery as part of the system. This vehicle is a hybrid. IDK, but my WAG is that weight limitations don't allow for high torque you would want when rock crawling nor the acceleration like the specialized Tesla has.

It seems like an interesting concept, but I lean toward the skeptical side until we see some test results.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #12

Garage
Way too cool.

It's gotta be a long ways off....and it seems some other technologies have to mature a bit too....but I'm really looking forward to the future practical technical discussions/threads on the SMB Forum when electric off-grid-capable vans are a reality for some people here.....

....in particular, where when people talk about "how much solar panel wattage to pack along," it's in relation to being able to fully recharge their van's electric drive-motor batteries.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

I'M ALL in for solar power. MY house and Beasty Boy are solar powered,BUT, race cars of ANY kind--NO!!! Ya gotta have the music to the ears.:
freespirit1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I think crawling through a trail on some kind of an electric UTV/ATV would be an interesting ride.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #15

Oh man, this is exactly what I want.
crupshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

I'm not sure why any RV is being made without solar at this point. Why not just cover the roof? It's just about that cheap nowadays. I mean, seriously, just make the roof completely out of solar. Make a modular, replaceable panel of universal size and hookup so that if one or two are damaged you just replace those. If you get in a horrible hail storm then just replace them all. I would think it would be cheaper for an insurance company than a proper hail damage fix by a body shop now!

Sorry to drift off topic here, the electric van thing is pretty dang cool.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
Site Team

Another "in development" electric vehicle. Looks very Defender 90/Bronco-ish, but has some cool ideas, if they can really pull it off.

Range between recharge is pretty miserable though.

The Bollinger Motors B-1 is an old-school truck with a high-tech twist | Fox News

Bollinger Motors

Herb
Old 07-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Another "in development" electric vehicle. Looks very Defender 90/Bronco-ish, but has some cool ideas, if they can really pull it off.

Range between recharge is pretty miserable though.

The Bollinger Motors B-1 is an old-school truck with a high-tech twist | Fox News

Bollinger Motors

Herb
A couple of guys at work had that pulled up on one of their computers and were ogling that thing yesterday --- that is super cool!!!! Yeah, totally like a Bronco or Defender. (In short, the magical proportion!)

With its rear cap removed, it's a spot-on IH Scout 800A doppelgänger too (at least in side profile). What's old is suddenly new....! Dig it.

Cool stuff coming down the pike for sure.
What's that song lyric...."future's so bright....I gotta wear shades" ?

Edit:
PS: I like the idea of a lightweight, fully-electric 4WD (or 2WD) small rig or dune buggy that could be towed behind your SMB to a campsite and then "deployed" to go roam around and explore using only electric power.

Maybe a near-future SMB could incorporate some kind of hybrid drivetrain that has the capability to **recharge the electric buggy/4WD vehicle** --- presumably while the electric 4WD rig is being towed to the next camping location (electric 4WD rig would charge via a high-voltage cable that connected between the SMB alongside the other trailer-hitch wiring)

So many possibilities.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Maybe a near-future SMB could incorporate some kind of hybrid drivetrain that has the capability to **recharge the electric buggy/4WD vehicle** --- presumably while the electric 4WD rig is being towed to the next camping location (electric 4WD rig would charge via a high-voltage cable that connected between the SMB alongside the other trailer-hitch wiring)

So many possibilities.
Well the VIA motors package has power generation options.

Even simpler, I'd love to see somebody come out with a CAN-BUS controller to enable regenerative braking on your towed electric car. Even towing the Fiesta, there's a lot of extra "push" coming down long hills, since towed cars don't add much wind drag.