Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fees/fines for commercial photography in US Forests

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
No wonder you're moving to mehico
It's funny how you can move to a country that doesn't allow you to own your own property but end up with more freedom... well to some extent
You own your own property, with title insurance also.
Yeah, I was thinking about beach front property like my buddy has who told me he wasn't able to own the land his house is on without being a national. Maybe their laws have changed. I'll still choose the USA even with all the idiotic laws being passed here.
But if CA keeps it up I'm outta here.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #22

^ditto. But it would take a lot more stupid laws to pass for me to leave So Cal. I'll travel anywhere at least once but this place is my home.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #23

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
^ditto. But it would take a lot more stupid laws to pass for me to leave So Cal. I'll travel anywhere at least once but this place is my home.
Just wait until there is one major power outage, fuel shortage, earthquake, trucking strike, fire, or the Raiders lose the Super Bowl and you and your 16 million favorite So Cal homies are going to have a great time together.

I've lived in Southern California pretty much my whole life - I'm over it. Over populated, over regulated (Federal and State) and overdrawn. It can't get better, pure math. Get those babies of your's out of here and to somewhere safe and healthy.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #24

So what you're really trying to say is that you've built a casitas for us in Cabo?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #25

Back to the OP. Even when there's rules. They often aren't followed in the remote federal lands in this state. Barry http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58442 ... l.html.csp
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepeak
Back to the OP. Even when there's rules. They often aren't followed in the remote federal lands in this state. Barry http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58442 ... l.html.csp
Providing the article is accurate, it seems to me that the fine was more because of illegally placing climbing anchors and moving of rocks, than the actual photography itself.

Just remembered that the National Park Service has had a photography contest to have your picture used on their annual park pass. If there was some compensation, does that mean I can get fined if I win?

What about this NPS photography contest?
http://www.nps.gov/band/photocontest.htm

or this one?
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/parknews/2014-a ... ontest.htm

or one sponsored by a non-Government agency?
http://www.nationalparks.org/connect/np ... st-winners

Herb
Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Could be wrong but isn't NPS & USFS apples and oranges. If so what happens in a national park might not be included in this at all. And it even sounds like it applies only to wilderness areas rather than our standard forest lands. Not saying if that is true that if taken to an extreme it wouldn't be a screwed up rule. I'll comment when something silly happens and until then, it's picture city whenever and wherever I want.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

Just wait until there is one major power outage, fuel shortage, earthquake, trucking strike, fire, or the Raiders lose the Super Bowl and you and your 16 million favorite So Cal homies are going to have a great time together.
Luckily the odds of them being in the Superbowl are lower than any of the other situations you listed. However, wouldn't it be even worse if they somehow managed to actually win the SB?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #29

This isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. Almost every public land area requires permits for commercial uses, and have done so forever. There was an entertaining example of that when some tech mogul got married in Big Sur. I've been at car commercial shootings, movie shoots, product modeling, etc in regional, state and fed parks. And I've promoted events, all requiring permits and agreements. You can't take over a chunk of Yosemite Valley for your exclusive use without paying we the people a fee for excluding us.

They seem to have at least created the impression of overreach, however, in implying a photographer would have to pay if they use the photo commercially, as they would have to if they used a picture of your custom van without permission.

In tbery, we could charge Apple for using pictures of Half Dome in their ads. But I don't think we do per se, although they would need a permit if they wanna set up a shoot of iMacs in a meadow there.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Could be wrong but isn't NPS & USFS apples and oranges. If so what happens in a national park might not be included in this at all. And it even sounds like it applies only to wilderness areas rather than our standard forest lands. Not saying if that is true that if taken to an extreme it wouldn't be a screwed up rule. I'll comment when something silly happens and until then, it's picture city whenever and wherever I want.
Exactly! The rule applies to Forest Service wilderness lands, not any Park Service lands, nor BLM lands, either. Nor does it apply to Forest areas that are not designated as "wilderness" by Congress. The rule is pretty specific about that.

Also remember that:

The National Forest Service is a bureau of the Department of Agriculture.
The National Park Service is an agency of the Department of Interior.

This is probably one rare case where a large bureaucracy is a benefit to us. The Forest Service rules don't apply to Park Service areas, and vice versa.

So, for me, it's "picture city", as DaveB says. Don't worry, be clicky!