Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #21

Garage
Yeah I like the Starbucks Via's for the backcountry hiking trips and pour-over for everything else.

ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #22

I must say they are quite good and unbeatably convenient.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #23

Anybody ever tried this? 2 cups will scare you.

Real coffee
http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #24

I got this little mixer for Christmas. One just whips the cream into a foam effectively emasculating the coffee. It runs on batteries so I will probably take it with me in the van. Very easy.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog View Post
Anybody ever tried this? 2 cups will scare you.

Real coffee
http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
The Rum barrel sounds great but I'd like to try all their products...they should make a air tight container with their label! I'd buy one.

I actually buy a local roasted coffee from Mariposa. If you're headed toward Yosemite from the Merced route, this place is worth a stop. They do sell it around town.
https://www.mariposacoffeecompany.com/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
Yeah I like the Starbucks Via's for the backcountry hiking trips and pour-over for everything else.
Me too. Though this thread prompted me to dig my Bialetti out of the box it's been in since I moved. Yumm.

I have a battery operated rotary foamer, but I'm thinking about getting one of these for the road as it will make heating the milk easier:
http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Stainle...dp/B00BJF6F4K/
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
I'm on board with the pour over. By the way, if you're ever near Eugene, Or and like coffee stop by The Wandering Goat. Their Mexican will change your life and the pictures on the wall may give you strange dreams.... A lb or two of the beans for the road could ruin you though. I was never a coffee snob until I had it.
Wit, I'm originally from Eugene and actually owned a coffee shop at one point in life. Like you I also Love wandering goat coffee. If you're ever looking for something comparable give Mike at Cascada estates coffee a call. They have a small roaster out in northeast off of Bertelsen. If you buy in 5 pound bags they give you a really good deal. Their coffee is infrared roasted and they have a great Mexican blend. Back when I was home last year I think it was around 750 a pound.
JohnWeddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #28

John, thank you for the lead! I'll definitely look them up and will report back. Give me a shout if you're ever back in Eugene. We can share coffee and vannin notes.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #29

I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands when camping so I like to make coffee an old fashioned way like my aunt did back in the 1950's and '60's. She always heated water on the stove and poured it through a dripolator. I think you might consider it the old precursor to the modern coffee makers we use now because it utilizes the same principle with hot water dripping through the coffee. I first heat up the water in my old coffee pot over the campfire. See the black pot in the picture below:

Then I put a filter and coffee in the strainer container below the top part of the dripolator and pour the hot water into the top part of the dripolator. In about 10-15 minutes it has dripped through and my coffee in ready. I have found old dripolators of many different sizes in our local thrift shops so they are still quite common. See my picture below:

I call it my good old campground coffee and my wife loves it.
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black95 View Post
pour the hot water into the top part of the dripolator
Nowadays that would be called 'pour over' coffee and is all the rage in the finest coffee shops of San Francisco and Brooklyn.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote