Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: For your viewing pleasure

Darryl, somehow I knew this was gonna go this way.

My guess is this is private property or a public off Road Park. Myself I kind of like to look at the whole picture here. Remember that they are citizens too. Just look at all the people out there that think a Sportsmobile (or any vehicle) destroys public lands and the backcountry should be closed off to all vehicle use. I don't want to be a hypocrite thinking my use of public land is OK and others should follow in line to my thinking. That’s what’s wrong with so many folks in the USA. Sure people take advantage of public land and destroy much of it. I won’t tolerate that myself, but I think there are other ways of dealing with these problems. This is America, and provided this sport is corralled to specific sites, I don’t have a problem with it… even on public lands. They should have the right to use the land for their hobbies as well. Every year more and more of the trails are being cut off in the Sierra’s and yes, most is being blamed on jerks who don’t obey backcountry laws. But IMO, many who want vehicle access closed permanently are rubbing their hands with smiles on their faces saying people will do it to themselves; it’s just a matter of time and we’ll finally get those nasty 4x4’s out of OUR forest. When I come into a spot and see trash, I’ll pick it up. There is a spot I go to shoot at. Last time we picked up over a paper sack full of shoot gun shells. The rangers say if it continues they will close it off. Actually the range in confined to a small spot and it doesn’t bother me. At least everybody shoots in one spot and if you walk a couple 100 feet away you wouldn’t know it exists. Still we clean it up from the threat of closure. Watch out what you wish for... you might be cutting your own throat. Before we all jump on the “he’s ruining the forest” idea, we should find out the true facts. But I don't care what laws are passed, somebody is going to break them and won't get caught. It happens! What I don't want to see is the actions of a few causing the shutting down of an area to the masses who use it when any bad event such as this or other hobbies including shooting, hunting, or even trashing of the backcountry can be repaired so easily. Think about that. With all the off roading going on, how many spots have been ruined to the point of no recovery? Even fires or fragile meadows messed up years ago will fix themselves eventually.

Now if this is indeed a video where this kind of event wasn't supposed to be happening, and the area in question is so damaged that it is beyond any repair by people and/or Mother Nature, I’ll bring the rope.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #12

Garage

I guess I should have called this topic "For your viewing pleasure or displeassure"! I agree that the kind of distruction has no place in public lands. When you tear up the ground so compleatly that it can't be fixed it is a great shame. I like Ford_6L_E350's analogy of "Kinda like 4 synchronized chainsaws on attack." I like the philosophy of "Tread Lightly". I want to see all outdoors open to us and future generations. That being said, that machine is a great peice of kit! When used on private land I'm all for it. No helmet or eye protection, thats just stupid!

P.S. You can tie the rope to my van!!!!!!
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Site Team

I could tell by the end of the video that this is definitely on private land. And, I suppose, whatever is done on private land is acceptable. But when I see years of tree growth being knocked down just so some guy can have fun recklessly driving his vehicle what I see is one second of pleasure for him destroyed years of nature. It doesn't seem like a fair trade off to me.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

I think before people judge how others pass their time and impact nature, we should sit back and take a long look at the sum total of our own impact. Fewer rocks might be trown from within those glass houses. ...rolling on rubber tires, burning petroleum products, and interiors built of wood...

Maybe he feels he's making fire breaks and keeping the undergrowth down? Never know how one justifies their actions. Then again...it could just be daggun fun.
Miykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Here are a couple of work buddies of mine on public land having a good time. Both areas are set aside for this and it doesn’t bother me one bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... G6EW1WoBPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... G6EW1WoBPE

Thankfully we still live in a country that allows a sport like this to continue.

At the same time I’m also glad that we have rules for the backcountry that protects most of the habitat but still allows me to take my van into areas for me to visit.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Here are a couple of work buddies of mine on public land having a good time. Both areas are set aside for this and it doesn’t bother me one bit.
I wheel a 94 YJ (Wrangler) on 35's. I don't think I'd clear those ruts, but I'd sure enjoy trying. Looks like beautifull area. We only have private parks to wheel on near me....at least that I'm aware of (newbie).
Miykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #17

Garage

lol, chainsaw on all 4 corners...what a perfect description.

ive seen that machine before, what a pissed off beast. looks like it would be a blast.

however, im on board with a lot of others in this thread...its just too much damage to the land imho. the area looks absolutly beautiful, seems like a shame to devour it like that, but if its a park or prvate property, I suppose im in no position to judge.

the area in the vids dave posted looks great too. i guess im just really drawn to all the green. living in the desert i tend to always want lots of green around me when out and about.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #18

Garage

The closest thing I have seen to that is my friends custom sand car with 1200hp. It sounds the same and wheelies for a mile in 3 gears. The thing about his is that it goes on sand. The winds repair the marks. What is killing me to watch is the closure of the public lands to sleds. I just can't get my head around how a snowmobile ruins anything when it is riding on 10 feet of snow. Everyone claims the noise etc. but most places I have seen being targeted for closure are a 3 days walk in the winter but only a 30 minute ride on a sled. That beast in the video would definitely increase the resolve of the crowd looking to ban vehicles. Like most of these issues the facts would be stated that these are everywhere and more are coming. Sorry if I ranted. Off soap box now.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #19

Have to say that the engine sounds great - the machine is quite capable. Positive comments stop here however. So very sad that someone could show such disrespect for the land. Whether it is public or private shouldn't matter. The damage he is causing will take many years to repair......
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #20

A really impressive vehicle, but i am also with the most of you guys.
As I am living in an area where it is forbitten to ride a horse in the forest just to protect nature and animals living there. Jeah thats where we are here now..... be careful and
thankfully that you guys still live in a country that allows a lot of things we (germany) are dreaming for
My slogan:
Leave the place you are in the same shape you entered it.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote