Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Ford wants my Econoline!

Got a flyer from Ford, saying they want me to trade-in my 2006 Econoline, for a 2010 Ford Transit Connect, "with a monthly payment near or below your current payment." Do you think this will be the future SMB vehicle?

If you ask me, it looks like a cross between a minivan and a Sprinter.

Herb

Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Re: Ford wants my Econoline!

I sure am glad I bought my SMB when I did. With new RV regulations and discountinued diesels it makes the used market much more valuable. Not that I would sell (family loves it). The econoline makes for a great base and when that platform is gone the used values will skyrocket.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #3

I think your right when it comes to holding their value. A friend of mine owns GOWESTY and I have seen restored Vanagons go out of there for as much as $130k. And NO that was not a typo. I don't know the mentality of putting that much into a 20 year old vehicle. We'll just have to see what the industry does but it seems as though no one is interested in the Breadbox platform anymore.

Paul
Old 01-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Joel

I actually talked to some folks at Ford for a story the other day. They're pushing the Transit Connect pretty hard, but I suspect they're actually bring the full-size Transit over proper in a couple years. Don't know how it'll be for 4x4 applications. Actually, now I'm curious. Off to Google!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
.... With new RV regulations ...

What new RV regulations?

Quote:
The econoline makes for a great base and when that platform is gone the used values will skyrocket.

Hmmm. Surely the Econoline will be around for a very very long time -- it has something north of 50% market share for vans in the US, including use as a base for ambulances, and so on.

The Transit is, I would think, Ford's answer to the Sprinter market in a smaller package without the Mercedes price tag. Basically a cargo super-minivan. With the disappearance of the Aerostar, the Safari/Astro, and the Dodge Cargo Caravan, there really isn't anything smaller than an Econoline for cargo/work.

I pulled the rear seats from my '05 Dodge minivan, put in a carpeted plywood floor (creating a hidden storage area where the third row seats were), covered the windows with foam sheeting, and now have dog showing and mountain biking buddies wondering when I'm going to be ready to sell it. They are the market that needs a small cargo van. I love being able haul my bike and other toys around town inside my van -- less likely to be stolen!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Quote:
.... With new RV regulations ...

What new RV regulations?

I have two sideways facing gauchos. In my research to upgrade the seat belts I learned the seating laws in RV's are changing. It used to be the driver and passenger up front were the only ones required to have seat belts (3 point). This changed to all seats behind drivers required seat belts. Now all forward facing seats will be required to have 3 point belts(I believe) and sideways facing seats will be no more. Seats that are in RV's that do not have the proper seat belts will not be allowed to be used as traveling seats. ALL sideways seats will not be allowed to be used as travel seats. Exsisting vehicles are grandfathered.

Think about that big family vacation in the Giant RV. Families use to pile in. Now builders must design in proper seating for everyone.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

The Ford Econoline has been starving on the vine for many years now at Ford. Yes, they have sales, but Ford has not spent styling money on it in years. It just would not go away. The design is very dated. Replacing it with the European van has been planned for several years. Probably delayed because of continued Econoline continued good sales. The deed is now done.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #8

Quote:
I have two sideways facing gauchos. In my research to upgrade the seat belts I learned the seating laws in RV's are changing. It used to be the driver and passenger up front were the only ones required to have seat belts (3 point). This changed to all seats behind drivers required seat belts. Now all forward facing seats will be required to have 3 point belts(I believe) and sideways facing seats will be no more. Seats that are in RV's that do not have the proper seat belts will not be allowed to be used as traveling seats. ALL sideways seats will not be allowed to be used as travel seats. Exsisting vehicles are grandfathered.
Already the case here in Europe

That Transit in the first pic is the small Transit Connect, there is also the "big" Transit that has been over here since the 70's and is used as base to quite a few RVs including Westfalia I think...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote