Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #1

Fuel Prices

So Jage

Only $3.59 in Denver?

From todays Press Democrat
Record diesel prices stun local businesses
With Sonoma County diesel prices hitting a record $3.80 a gallon Wednesday, businesses that operate trucks and machinery are passing some of the cost on to customers...

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/2 ... 033/NEWS01

The refinery is less than 40 miles away! Got to love California.

And just in time as I pick up my new '08 in Fresno tomorrow. Can't wait to fill that 46 gallon tank.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #2

Here's my theory. The oil and gas companies are feeling the pinch of the high price of delivering fuel in their trucks, due to the cost of the fuel. Therefore like many businesses they're passing the cost on to us, the consumer, by raising the price of fuel.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #3

Yep, not a fun trend.

The price differential between diesel and mid-grade gasoline has been widening again in recent months. For many years, diesel was cheaper than gas. Then this relationship flipped in 2003-04, most argue due to refinery damange caused by Katrina.

Not sure what is causing the diesel/gas spread to move now, but would assume it is some supply bottleneck in refining diesel fuel. In addition, those of us in sunny CA get the privledge of paying a 4%-6% premium for diesel above the natl average.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp
Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #4

You know if I was an oil executive I'd be thinking I just found the next best thing since embezzling. I mean nobody has cried bloody murder yet, just keep inching the price up and see if people ever stop buying.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #5

fuel prices

After reading the above post, I thought I should top off my SMB. Gas was $3.34/gal, up about $0.40/gal in the last 10 days. propane was $3.35/gal, no change in the last month or so.

My theory: India & China are sucking up huge amounts of petroleum, driving up a barrel of oil to over $100/gal and OPEC is loving it. Washington can't do anything about it (in the short term), even if they wanted to.

Next summer's prices are going to be grim. I hope I'm wrong because I'm going to be out there.

Philrod

'07 E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

I'm Happy we don't have to pay for a fancy hotel room on top of fuel prices.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #7

Filled up today at $3.55 per gallon for regular low sulphur diesel here in Helena, for a total of around $80. Ouch! Diesel has gone up nearly 40 cents in the last month.

EMrider wrote:
Quote:
The price differential between diesel and mid-grade gasoline has been widening again in recent months. For many years, diesel was cheaper than gas. Then this relationship flipped in 2003-04, most argue due to refinery damage caused by Katrina.
The oil companies took the opportunity after Katrina to reformulate for the low sulphur diesel (required by US clean air laws) which cost more to refine which pushed diesel prices above gas prices for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Now that oil discovery has peaked worldwide (starting in May 2005) and with demand worldwide skyrocketing (read China and India) supplies have become much more limited, and the price per barrel has doubled in the last year to more than $100.

It's a scary situation for anyone relying on cheap petroleum. If you want more detail, check the stories at http://www.theoildrum.com/.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

So looking at this thread prices have dropped below Feb 2008 levels.

We had not had to fill up in just more than a month. A month ago prices were about the same as they were in Feb.

...and now they are almost a dollar cheaper.

We paid $3.58 on 10 Oct and that had been the lowest price since we got our SMB. Today we paid $2.69. It was $2.79 there earlier in the day and that was almost the lowest in town.

I was glad to get a great price, but I kept thinking if I could wait another day it would probably go down more.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #9

Love the fuel prices. Going on a 5 day trip over turkey day. Diesel is $2.89 a gallon where we are headed.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
AD,

We will be getting home from a 5 day trip about the time you are taking off.... We will top off here before we leave, and then have to fill up once before we go into the back country and then top off agian before the drive home.

...BUT I am betting that the price will be higher in Presidio and Marfa and Alpine....

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote