Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #1

Getting into the SEMA Show

I'll be chauffeuring my 85 year old father around Las Vegas during the last couple of days that the SEMA Show is going on.

I'll have a bit of down time Thursday afternoon and Friday morning and thought I'd try to find a way to get into the show for a couple of hours.

Any ideas? Anyone going that needs any cheap labor?

I'm great at keeping secrets...

Old 08-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
This will be interesting---I've never pondered going to SEMA although I know it would be fantastic!

I did attend a large exhibition in Daytona Beach back in the mid 80's for speed parts mostly---had seen it the year previous so went back with a pocket full of cash, ready to buy for a project I had in the works. Most vendors were only exhibiting, had brought nothing to sell. Well the t-shirt, beer and hot dog vendors did---thank goodness!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

Looking at some of the pictures from the last couple of years, I'm seeing more & more "Overland" type rigs and thought it might be fun to take a look around. Seems like a hard event to get into though...
Old 08-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #4

Garage
There are hundreds of vehicles normally on display outside that don't require any credentials to check out, many of which are van-related

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
It strikes me even an outsider might be able to receive one of the programs listing the current vendors who might be displaying items. That'd be almost like a phone book, you could visit the individual websites? It wouldn't be the same as actually seeing and discussing things but would be somewhat close.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

SEMA has been a LOT TOUGHER on "Looky Lou's" trying to attend the show with no other reason than to walk around and look!

Credentials have become much harder to git.

You must have a business, work for a industry realted business or be a union vender to git credentials. It costs $40 for SEMA credentials which is nothing it's just going through their registration process that has become more difficult to git approved.

SEMA is their own worst enemy.

All the promotions and TV shows that broadcast from SEMA or film from SEMA make it so attractive that EVERYONE wants to go and look or put a car in THE SEMA show. To that degree the event has become so crowded with "Looky Lou's" that the Vendors (SEMA'S Customer's) have started complaining heavily over the last 5 years to do something about it and make it much more difficult to attend the show for folks with no other purpose than to look and conduct NO BUSINESS.

Their answer is SEMA Ignited!

You might want to look at SEMA Ignited on Friday evening after the SEMA show closes on Friday afternoon when all the cars are leave the building and parade across the street to SEMA Ignited if they have it this year. SEMA Ignited is a public event that you can buy tickets to attend.

I have been going to SEMA for 30 years and the purpose of the show has really floundered recent years with all the "Looky Lou's" attending with no other purpose at the show than to walk around a LOOK!

There is always someone on CL trying to sell real and fake SEMA credentials. You might give that a go!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

1 afternoon or 1 morning is not enough time to see everything at SEMA. Even one full day is hardly enough time to see everything in both halls and the outside displays. Too much eye candy for a car guy.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #8

Garage
^^^ yep was over a million square feet of booths last time I attended around 06. They’ve added another huge building to the show in the last few years, so only getting bigger.

Definitely bring good shoes and laptop bag or something for lanyards, stickers, and other freebies that handed out throughout the show.

Sounds like we’re going this year. I wasn’t into campers last time I went so since we always seemed to be shy on time, the bauceman skipped that building altogether each time we went. I’m really looking forward to checking that stuff out this year.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
... and laptop bag or something for lanyards, stickers, and other freebies that handed out throughout the show...
Where they will stay for the next three years

Herb
Old 08-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #10

Here's the registration info for SEMA.

https://www.compusystems.com/servlet...__utmk=8283825

pay particular attention to the requirements for attendees that haven't attended SEMA in the past:

Qualification Policies
If both you and/or your company are new to AAPEX and the SEMA Show, you will be asked to submit two (2) forms of qualifying documents during the registration process: 1 item from Group A, and 1 item from Group B below. Please have your qualifying documents ready when you proceed with registration. You may complete a registration application without these credentials but no action will be taken to approve your registration request until qualifying documents are uploaded to your record. PLEASE PROVIDE ALL DOCUMENTS IN ENGLISH.

Also, Auto Care Association, AASA/MEMA and/or SEMA membership and/or prior company approval does not guarantee approval of an individual with that company. You may be asked to submit qualifying materials to prove you are employed with that company.

Acceptable forms of qualifying documents include:

Group A
-Two recent paycheck stubs to verify employment (company name and personal name must appear on payment stub or receipt).
-Business photo I.D. (must include company name, your photo, and full name)
-A picture of your business card (company name, address and personal name must correspond with the information in your registration. Must include your job title.) Digital renderings of your business card are not acceptable.

Group B
-Current, valid business license
-Current, valid tax registration certificate or business registration