Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Going to NYC question

We gotta go to NYC this summer via Billings MT in the van.
It will be a long trip but we're going to make some side trips for the SMB to make
it more fun. Do some 4x4 camping & such.
Anyway the question is, Does anyone know of any good/safe storage place
we can leave the van either outside the city or in New Jersey for about 4 days while
we go into the city.
I really really dont want to drive into Manhattan let alone find a place to park it.

77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Re: Going to NYC question

Actually, there's a lot on 18th Street and 10th Avenue that would work. It's big and open. It's manned all the time. I think it would be pretty secure, and you'd be in Manhattan. Probably about 30 bucks a day. If you like, I'll get the number for you, but PM me so I remember.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #3

Ehhhh.... New York City is way, way east of Billings, Montana, which is way too big a city for me to begin with. Why not park the van at the Billings airport and fly into the Big Apple?
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #4

It's a cool ride. Go for it. I do cross country all the time. Lots of interesting ways to go, as well, if you don't want to do the interstate.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

my advice would be:

1. if you have propane make sure you do your research about the bridges and tunnels - i think the GWB is the only legal way in from NJ.
2. look for an indoor, SELF PARK lot. There is decent and cheap (for nyc) garage on the west side highway at houston street (pier 40) that has enough headroom. This way you get the security of parking indoors and you dont have to trust someone else to park your van and nobody else gets to see whats inside. Also if you are like me you can have the piece of mind to check on the van during your stay
3. when parked close all your shades and clear out your dash area. thieves generally will not bother to break in if they can't see anything valuable, and its not uncommon for people to sleep out in vans in lower manhattan so they might assume you are in there if they can't see otherwise.

i've been parking our smb on the street on and off for the past two years and (knock on wood) have had no trouble with the van, which was not the case with other vehicles we owned previously.

driving here is not as bad as you might think. i actually prefer driving the smb to our mini here because cabs and regular cars are afraid of 4x4 vans.
lacoustics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

There's an RV park in northern New Jersey that's a short ferry ride into NYC, (to the battery at the south end of Manhattan. Web site: www.libertyharborrv.com Extremely no frills, fenced, security, but with hook-ups. - Rusty
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoustics
my advice would be:

1. if you have propane make sure you do your research about the bridges and tunnels - i think the GWB is the only legal way in from NJ.
2. look for an indoor, SELF PARK lot. There is decent and cheap (for nyc) garage on the west side highway at houston street (pier 40) that has enough headroom. This way you get the security of parking indoors and you dont have to trust someone else to park your van and nobody else gets to see whats inside. Also if you are like me you can have the piece of mind to check on the van during your stay
3. when parked close all your shades and clear out your dash area. thieves generally will not bother to break in if they can't see anything valuable, and its not uncommon for people to sleep out in vans in lower manhattan so they might assume you are in there if they can't see otherwise.

i've been parking our smb on the street on and off for the past two years and (knock on wood) have had no trouble with the van, which was not the case with other vehicles we owned previously.

driving here is not as bad as you might think. i actually prefer driving the smb to our mini here because cabs and regular cars are afraid of 4x4 vans.

You can drive a SMB through the Holland Tunnel. Just don't have propane tanks hanging off the rear in plain view.

Good luck finding an indoor lot that you can fit into in NYC.

As for Pier 40, on Houston and West, they have started to limit fullsize vans and prohibit them. Long story, don't start me on them, but you will NOT get into their indoor areas. Trust me, I live 5 minutes from them.

The lot I mentioned on 10th and 18th is the best bet if you want to park it in Manhattan. Again, feel free to contact me when you're in the city. I'd be happy to tell you anything you like or point you to interesting places.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #8

easy nomadcat. put the claws away, I was just trying to be helpful...
sure you can drive an SMB through the tunnel, just not legally if you have propane. Since I've seen RV's pulled over there we decided to stop risking it. Security there is no joke post 9/11.
as for pier 40, that was our permanent spot for two years - the place is loaded with sprinter vans and contractors vans with ladder racks and full size box trucks. maybe they have started limiting access to 'indoor' areas but their outdoor mezzanine and roof are still good options and very secure in my experience.
10th and 18th is a good tip as well - I'd just be wary of leaving the van outside unless you unload all of your gear.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoustics
easy nomadcat. put the claws away, I was just trying to be helpful...
sure you can drive an SMB through the tunnel, just not legally if you have propane. Since I've seen RV's pulled over there we decided to stop risking it. Security there is no joke post 9/11.
as for pier 40, that was our permanent spot for two years - the place is loaded with sprinter vans and contractors vans with ladder racks and full size box trucks. maybe they have started limiting access to 'indoor' areas but their outdoor mezzanine and roof are still good options and very secure in my experience.
10th and 18th is a good tip as well - I'd just be wary of leaving the van outside unless you unload all of your gear.

laacoustics - I am sorry if it seemed my claws were out. I really did not intend to come across that way and apologize if I did.

Pier 40 has changed. I have been there since '97. When I came back from Portland with the Quadvan, rather than the Tacoma I had left with, one person there gave me a real hassle, showing me some chart that the state government had just given them on January 1st with an outline of a van, etc. I kid you not. They measured my van with a tape measure. I could go on, it's a crazy story, actually, but I won't bore you. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with trying to go there; I was just trying to pass along my recent experience. The thing I like most about Pier 40 is that it's park-and-lock. I *hate* people parking my vehicle.

Anyway, again, please accept my apologies. I didn't intend to be rude.

Paul
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #10

Paul-
No problem man - I know how things can come across wrong sometimes on forums.
We should really try to meet up sometime we might well be the only two SMB's in manhattan. I'm really surprised we have not bumped into each other already, its a small island for two SMB's!

Mahukaawe-
Enjoy your trip to NYC and if there's anything we can contribute (parking, nearby camping spots etc) don't hesitate to PM.