Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2023, 10:34 PM   #1

Half way between Portland & Bay Area

Looking for recommendations / spots between 4 / 5 hours south or Portland Oregon mid June. We will be in Portland Oregon on June 16th and are looking for a spot to stay overnight on June 17th so that we are about 4 to 5 hours away from the Bay Area. I've been googling and there sites along the coast but was curious if anyone had recommendations or cool spots we could hit for night?

MerlinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:01 AM   #2

Garage
The train museum and restaurant in Dunsmuir. You can see castle crags from there and the food was great. It is totally funky and has dispersed "like" camping with bathrooms and a river running through it. There are a lot of other options right around there. I can also highly recommend going towards McLeod. We stayed in Mcleod at the mercantile, which is al old company town building converted to hotel and restaurants. Lots of places around there to camp as well.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:30 AM   #3

Garage
Are you planning on going down Hwy 5 or cutting over to the coast to Hwy 101? Patrick’s Point State Park North of Eureka would be an easy choice if going down the coast.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:58 AM   #4

Appreciate the replies. I'm open to either coast or down the 5. The goal is to break the 10 hour drive from Portland to the North Bay into two 5 hour trips. It will be four adults and a toddler so one or two people will be in a tent, everyone else in the van.
MerlinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #5

From Portland I'd follow the PCOR down towards Crater Lake NP. Will post a pic with a rough overview shortly, in case you need more info I can provide GPX files and experience. But not sure about the weather conditions.
I would NOT stay in the NP as it's crowded, but rather stay at Diamond Lake, Crescent Lake or Irish Lake.

Wildlife Safari in Winston at the 5 in case you're traveling with kids. Not as relevant for adults only ;-)

Towards the border OR/ CA is Lava Beds National Monument followed by Lassen Volcanic NP.

I've not been there, but once saved Tamarack Lake as a possible stop over.

Closer to the Coast:
- Prarie Creek Redwoods SP. See some Elk, one campground on the coast, one in the forrest. Usually very much booked.
- Humbold Redwood SP is a 4h drive from the Bay. They claim to have 100 of 130 Redwoods taller than 300ft! Avenue of Giants is the scenic drive. And you can just go down with your car to the river beds. Hidden Springs Campground has one loop as fcfs.
- Westport Beach has primitive campsites on the cliffs (check sattelite view on google maps and you can find the campground). I've never been there when the campgrounds have been more than 30% occupied, so a very safe bet.
- You can stop by at Glass Beach (google for some background story) and/ or Bowling Ball Beach.

Hope that helps :-)
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:33 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4256.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	46577

This is the part of the PCOR.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:36 PM   #7

+1 for Diamond Lake.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Not dispersed camping but I really liked Jededia Smith Redwoods State Park near Crescent City. I'm not really a campground person but I liked this one more than any others along the lower coast. At least when I was there, the sites were somewhat isolated from each other. Not sure if reservations are required... they were not when I was there but I'd suspect in June the place would be packed. The nearby short Howland Hill road drive through the redwoods is very unique. But highway 1 is a slower drive compared to 5. Are you wanting to go off road? June is difficult as everybody wants to go camping. Good luck on your quest.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Not dispersed camping but I really liked Jededia Smith Redwoods State Park near Crescent City. I'm not really a campground person but I liked this one more than any others along the lower coast. At least when I was there, the sites were somewhat isolated from each other. Not sure if reservations are required... they were not when I was there but I'd suspect in June the place would be packed. The nearby short Howland Hill road drive through the redwoods is very unique. But highway 1 is a slower drive compared to 5. Are you wanting to go off road? June is difficult as everybody wants to go camping. Good luck on your quest.
Great ideas here. There's a lot of hidden stuff around here if you look. Won't give up more than that, but it's one of our favorite areas to visit...
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:22 AM   #10

It's not hard to find camping where you're looking, it's hard to narrow down one route and area to check out! Or even two for that matter. If you haven't done it my vote would be to cut up through Lassen area if you have time and then on to Crater Lake. Plan at least a half day to check out Crater Lake and then head on to Diamond Lake where there is more camping than you can imagine. From there my personal recommendation would be to head back west on 138 and check out as many of the waterfalls as you can. All short hikes. I've done this area 3 times or so and wish I could stay longer. During the week last time I was there I had the whole area to myself but it was off season. I did the short hikes to most of the falls and didn't see a soul.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote