Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #11

A few years back, I had just been eating a ton of Tums. The doctor told me that would cause calcium deposits in the arteries and induce heart disease. My asthma doctor (who's also a pulmonology professor at UC Davis Med School) put me on the proton pump inhibitor but said that's not a forever solution. Surgery to cut the nerve that sends the acid might be in the future.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
It's always best to see a doctor for some advise IMO. My boss was having similar issues and would only have it (heartburn) happen while sitting in the truck. They thought it was pleurisy but ended up being a heart related issue. It took a lot of tests before they finally figured out the problem. But it could be (and probably is) as easy as some here have mentioned. Just being away from my day to day living while on the road causes my systems to change. From what I gather, vacations affect a lot of people in different ways and if you search you'll find several articles on the subject. Although most seem to apply to hotel/airline type travel, they're still worth a read. Hope you find the issue because it sure can mess up a good trip.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #13

Heartburn

Hello ctb

This is the voice of experience.

I don't mean to scare ya,but I hope it does. You BETTER go see a gastro doctor SOON!!! I had the same problem for years. I drove a big truck for 30yrs. That has NOTHING to do with it! Mine turned into Esophagial Cancer. I BEAT IT!!but I went thru HELL for a few months. I can eat like normal now but I have to be careful. Like the old saying - A Word to the Wise.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #14

Hello bet on black

Your another one who better see a gastro doctor. Did the same thing, ate Tums like they were candy. My Hiatal Hernia blew up and almost killed me.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Is there any possibility the better halves issued are related specifically to the vehicle? Some sort of irritant out-gassing maybe?

Naturally a doctor's diagnosis is in order but your initial post suggests this on set coincided with Sporty's purchase---just thinking out loud here.

Wishing her the best though---that can't be anything less than annoying and put a damper on traveling.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Hello and thanks everyone! This is KTG (Kris the Girl) CTB's wife. I appreciate you all taking the time to write back. I have seen doctors for this and had scopes and scans. No hiatal hernia, etc. I do have a definite acid reflux issue that I take prescription meds for. I also really feel that the pain I feel is due to the vibration of the SMB ride and how it affects the acids in my stomach. It affects me more some times than others and I am not able to pin point this. We need to stop more frequently, etc. I have only had this particular pain during SMB rides, but not on every ride. I will continue to monitor it and discuss with my doctors, and I wish you all safe travels and blessed adventures! Sincerely, KTG
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Kris, thank you for checking in and letting us know about the issue you are facing. Having medical issues without a definable cause is no fun. I have seen medical doctors that could not figure out what was wrong with me. Finely a friend told me about the naturopath they were seeing. I made an appointment and he figured it out I had giardia and after several visits I was in much better condition. Good luck with your search.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #18
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
CTB here...THANKS to all that contributed both thoughts and experiences...it made KTG feel better and have hope...its been a much heavier tax on her than I knew...the Forum has really helped/come through (yet again eh?! lol) I think the pain itself and the pain of thinking that the SMB was causing and the trips we take..and they are her favorite and dreams of the "getting away from it all" that it affords (hectic/demanding employment for her)...in addition/interestingly, I had been in IL for around 6 weeks helping my Mom take care of my 91 YO Dad after aging issues/hospital/NH...till nurses/care could be arranged, and KTG would visit on weekends...she didn't have the pain on HER driving our daily SUV, but did on the week/day she came to take me back to IA...so we have talked/brainstormed/taken Members advice for a few 'tries' before we panic, to help and have hope...1. memory gel seat cushion for her (mine saves my back), 2. TAKING BREAKS (we are notorious for going 3/4+ of a tank w/o taking any kind of real breaks, the getting anywhere SMB'y from IA takes 10+ hours, vacation days go fast when you have 2-4+ days traveling tto destinations and back ). 3.watching our soda intake (we eat pretty well, but sugar soda intake and chocolate shoots way up on trips). 4. Having HER drive much more (out of our 41K we have on Sporty now, she has driven 500+ miles of it...Iknow, itI wish I could get her to drive more, she is fearless in a car) 5. Laying/chilling back on the Goucho when she isn't driving. 6. Ibuprofen or aspirin to start the day...that is the new plan...and I really hope any or all of them will make SMB'ing smoooooth! Again, many, many thanks to all who chimed in! I'll post an update next trip.
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #19

As stated, I have GERD and have been on the highest dose PPI for several years. We recently moved and I have an appointment with a new Dr. tomorrow. The Drs. who put me on this are both MD/PhD professors at UC Davis Med School and I know she's gonna want to talk about long term use of PPIs so I was doing some reading tonight.

Turns out, one reason for GERD is simply that the gastric stuff sometimes just doesn't flow from the stomach into the small intestine as soon as it should. When that happens, it can come back up. It seems that sitting in a certain position for awhile can, depending on the shape of your own innards and the position a particular chair puts you in, simply block the stuff from going on down on time. It's just physically blocked and voila, it goes the other way. Maybe she should talk to the doc about that. Take some pics of the position she's in in her car, both seats, and the SMB-both seats. Also keep a log of time of day, where seated, how long, what she ate, and description of symptoms. Sometimes data like that can help a doctor, particularly if she goes to a gastroenterologist.

Just a thought. Best wishes for her improvement.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #20

One more thing from me... I still use the PPI but started using Mastic Gum from the digestive support section of the local health store. One per day half hour before eating breakfast and it has really helped with my GERD pain. Supposed to help heal things up and I do believe it's working. No more heartburn by the time I go to bed which is awesome. More info about it online.