Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Community Forums > Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Help me choose.. 235/85/16 or 265/75/16 Discount Tires sale this weekend

Virtually the same height. However the 265 is one inch wider. If you were to choose, which size would you select for this van.

2013 E150 XLT Premium 5.4 7 passenger
WeldTec Designs 4 inch lift. I'm staying with my factory rims. Will go off road but not as often as I'd like. Mostly highway and around town. Lots of doctor appointments. Comfort is what I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1527.jpg   IMG_1529.jpg  

Badback12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team

What size do you have now, and how do you like the ride and the handling?

Herb
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
What size do you have now, and how do you like the ride and the handling?

Herb
Currently sitting on Michelin 225/75/16. I'm not a Michelin fan at all. They ride hard at any air pressure. I feel every expansion joint and every imperfection in the road. I know a big part of that is due to the nerve damage I have in my spine. I took a big dollar chance on the new suspension. I can already feel the improvement. Now I want the right tire and size to finish the job.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Garage
Personally, I would choose the wider tire. The 265 puts more rubber on the road. And I can't think of a compelling downside to the wider tire. Just my two cents.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Personally, I would choose the wider tire. The 265 puts more rubber on the road. And I can't think of a compelling downside to the wider tire. Just my two cents.
I agree with you. I like several things about running a wider tire. One down side in my thinking is a wider tire will run over more imperfections in the road and transfer that to its passengers.

As funny as it would look, I would go with 245/75/16 if that would give me the ride quality I need so I don't end wanting to kill my driver because they just ran over the 5th man hole cover in a two block stretch. I don't remember them being that difficult to drive around when I used to drive. I do remember being able to avoid or go over them without the tires touching. Living with pain is horrible. Being chauffeured while in pain by driver who manages to hit every crack, pothole, manhole cover and curb during right hand turns is awful! I need to give that driver every advantage I can. Starting with the 4 inch lift.
I'm sorry I got side tracked.

Unfortunately my decision cannot be based on looks. It truly sucks. I'm recovering from several surgeries. Any bouncing movement puts me in so much pain I end up sick to my stomach.

What I need at this time is comfort..
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

Garage
I respect your challenging situation. Living with pain is not easy. Here's a thought: the wider the tire, the lower the air pressure can be. The tradeoff, in your case, might be between a wider tire contacting more roadway imperfections, but using lower pressure and having a softer ride vs. a narrower tire potentially hitting fewer bumps, but with higher pressure and a potentially stiffer ride.

Not an easy situation. Best of luck to you.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote