Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Highwayt 395 eats...

I know that many of you love the area along Highway 395 in the eastern Sierras. And one of our rituals when driving from the Bay Area to the Mammoth area for fly fishing is stopping at the Mobil gas station at the junction of Highways 120 and 395 for take-out dinner at the Whoa Nellie Deli inside the gas station. We also typically stop on the way home for something for dinner once home.

While in Mammoth a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a "local" about things and mentioned the Deli. She told me that the chef there (who originally worked in San Francisco but wanted to get out of the urban scene) had opened a new restaurant in Mammoth but had then been fired. What the heck?

Well...she was partially correct and partially wrong. We soon learned the real story.

Matt Toomey (the chef at the Whoa Nellie Deli) did start a new take-out restaurant in Mammoth at the Villages (where Highway 203 turns right to head up to the ski area). It is called Toomey's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/toomeys-mammoth-lakes-2 for Yelp reviews). But Matt Toomey is still there.

My wife talked to Matt at his new restaurant and here is the whole story. When Matt's lease came up for renewal at the Whoa Nellie Deli, the owners Mobil station realized that the cooks in the Deli knew how to cook all of the items on the menu and that they didn't need Matt. So, they canceled his lease but kept the deli with the same menu. That is really BS!!!!

The menu at Toomey's is much like the deli but has (I think) more items. We took advantage of their menu at Toomey's several nights while camping near Mammoth. One night I had the Wild Buffalo Meatloaf and another night the New Zealand Elk Rack Chop...both were fabulous!

Needless to say, we didn't stop at the Whoa Nellie Deli on the way home....

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Highwayt 395 eats...

I skipped that place just before lunch time when I came through there a couple of weeks ago. I'm really regretting it now since you're the 2nd person to post about it.

Yes though, that highway sucks. The wind blows hard both directions at the same time! WTF?
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Re: Highwayt 395 eats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
I know that many of you love the area along Highway 395 in the eastern Sierras. And one of our rituals when driving from the Bay Area to the Mammoth area for fly fishing is stopping at the Mobil gas station at the junction of Highways 120 and 395 for take-out dinner at the Whoa Nellie Deli inside the gas station. We also typically stop on the way home for something for dinner once home.

While in Mammoth a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a "local" about things and mentioned the Deli. She told me that the chef there (who originally worked in San Francisco but wanted to get out of the urban scene) had opened a new restaurant in Mammoth but had then been fired. What the heck?

Well...she was partially correct and partially wrong. We soon learned the real story.

Matt Toomey (the chef at the Whoa Nellie Deli) did start a new take-out restaurant in Mammoth at the Villages (where Highway 203 turns right to head up to the ski area). It is called Toomey's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/toomeys-mammoth-lakes-2 for Yelp reviews). But Matt Toomey is still there.

My wife talked to Matt at his new restaurant and here is the whole story. When Matt's lease came up for renewal at the Whoa Nellie Deli, the owners Mobil station realized that the cooks in the Deli knew how to cook all of the items on the menu and that they didn't need Matt. So, they canceled his lease but kept the deli with the same menu. That is really BS!!!!

The menu at Toomey's is much like the deli but has (I think) more items. We took advantage of their menu at Toomey's several nights while camping near Mammoth. One night I had the Wild Buffalo Meatloaf and another night the New Zealand Elk Rack Chop...both were fabulous!

Needless to say, we didn't stop at the Whoa Nellie Deli on the way home....
Good info thanks. We ate at the Mobil station two weeks ago and try to get there for dinner on every trip. Having the original nearby in Mammoth now is even better. Will give it a try later this month.

Also FWIW, the best bean and cheese burritos and chicken soft tacos IMHO are found at the Chevron station in Big Pine.

R
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

The gas station is good--never imagined I'd ever say such a thing--mmmm fish tacos. This place: http://www.monoinn.com/ is outstanding with wonderful views of Mono.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Seems like every time we try for Nellie Deli they are closed (usually for the season).
Is Toomey's open year round?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

They are as far as I know....
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Seems like every time we try for Nellie Deli they are closed (usually for the season).
Is Toomey's open year round?
I'm pretty sure that they are open seasonally Only open when Tioga pass is clear. I know they are closed in the winter.
R