Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

Holy Multiple Sightings... San Diego

Spent the weekend in San Diego --- Del Mar, La Jolla, Encinitas areas. Dang, I saw van after van after van. Most were newer Ford SMBs, but probably saw almost as many Sprinters. Also saw a range of vanagons, Eurovans and a few classic buses. There were a couple of wild old school home built vans that I really wanted to get pcitures of, but between traffic and parking issues, I could only observe.

I'm in SD the next three days, and will be looking for more... Thinking about taking a little trip out to Aluminess too, so I have something to salivate over.

Michael

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Holy Multiple Sightings... San Diego

There are a lot of SMB and the like here in San Diego - I see new ones every day.

We were in Fish Creek Friday evening and Saturday morning and saw a Sportsmobile camped on our way in. We meet the owners the next day as they were riding through the canyon from Blair Valley, having come through the Squeeze and the drop off. They live in the Del Mar area and work right near our house and I've never seen the van before.

Makes me wonder just how many there are around here.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

There are at least four other Sportsmobiles within a mile radius of my home, one that is only a block away and another that is about 6 blocks away. I was driving up and back on 5 Saturday, I may have been one of the ones you saw.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

I'm in North SD County, kinda close to Ramsey, and I stopped counting a while ago with all the ones I see. There's at least two others close to me that I know of...
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

I kept on flying down the highway to try and catch a glimpse of them as I saw them... i was starting to piss of my wife, but I was having a blast. I have never actually been in an "official" SMB, so they are kind of novel to me, although I am trying to piece a homebrew together.

I was hoping to find one parked with people around so I could meet and greet. Maybe next time.

I am here another day or two, maybe I will still catch one.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

We saw 4 or 5 of them in/ around Santa Barbara last Wednesday and my wife decided that we needed to start giving "the wave" like we do to other motorcyclists when we are riding (even though there is nothing SMB about my van other than being lifted with big tires.) She waved to the last one we saw (of course they were going the opposite way on the freeway) and she was all giddy when they waved back.

I will say that when we lived in North San Diego Co. we saw SMB's and all sorts of other neat vans/ expo rigs/ offroad vehicles every single time we were on the road.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horsegarage
I kept on flying down the highway to try and catch a glimpse of them as I saw them... i was starting to piss of my wife, but I was having a blast. I have never actually been in an "official" SMB, so they are kind of novel to me, although I am trying to piece a homebrew together.

I was hoping to find one parked with people around so I could meet and greet. Maybe next time.

If you are going to be in the Point Loma/Ocean Beach area (close to downtown), send me a PM and we can try to meet up. I'd be more than happy to let you dig around our SMB.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horsegarage

Same as what WnSea said...

I'm off tomorrow, and should be around most of the day. PM me if you want to poke around, mine is still dusty though...
I'm in North County, Cardiff by the Sea to be exact. (about 20 minutes north of downtown San Diego)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Super nice of you guys... I am staying in the Torrey Hills area. Let me get a gauge on what work brings today, and I will try and get out early.