Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #1

Garage
how many nights a year do you spend in your van?

my wife and i have conflicting schedules often (i work 6am-2pm, and she is currently working 10:30am-7pm, luckily we both are m-f right now), so we take whatever time we can get whenever we can get it, but sadly, it generally only nets us weekend trips. we arent complaining. were just happy to be in the great outdoors.

anyway, the first year we had our van, not setup as a camper at all other than a makeshift bed, we were able to get out on 16 different trips. most were just 2 day weekend trips but i didnt really keep track other than a trip count. over the winter, i was trying to remember the various trips and was kinda bummed i didnt keep better track, so this year i started a spreadsheet with where, when, and notes from each trip. i was just filling it out from last weekends trip and trying to figure out where we are going this weekend and got me wondering if any of the rest of you keep track of this info.

i know many of you spend a lot of time in your vans. some of you weeks at a time (which makes me very, very envious btw, lol), but i was wondering if any of you kept track. so how bout it, anyone else keep track of how many nights a year you get to utilize your beloved chariot?

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Re: how many nights a year do you spend in your van?

I never thought about doing this, but after reading your post, I think its a great idea. We haven't been on too many trips since buying our SMB last year, but we enjoy it every time we get to use it.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

kinda dovetails into this thread from way back

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3694

I'll admit, I don't get out as much as I did years back. But I'm remodeling a house.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

40-50 this year. Probably around 20 previous years.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

I've only had my current van since March 4th, but I've slept in it 16 nights (or more?) already - easily more than 10% of the time.

And headed out in a few hours for this weekend too.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the idea of keeping track. Will have to start doing it. So far this year is is nine nights. Working just takes up to much free time.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
I've only had my current van since March 4th, but I've slept in it 16 nights (or more?) already - easily more than 10% of the time.

And headed out in a few hours for this weekend too.
Lucky. I'm remodeling a bathroom. Too hot to camp here anyway.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Garage

were also headed out when wife gets off work at 7pm. hot as hell here too, but when the temps are like this, we find a nice spot by some water and build a dam. plop down a table and chair and play cards and drink in the creek.

...and i forgot to say our stats in op. so far this season i am at 25 nights/13 trips, wife is less 4 nights and 2 less trips. were on our way to going twice as much as last year. that puts a huge smile on my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
kinda dovetails into this thread from way back

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3694

I'll admit, I don't get out as much as I did years back. But I'm remodeling a house.
i did a search, but apparently i didnt word it right. appreciate the link though, will go give it a read.

a little ot, but what is it called when you go camping, but just basically tour? drive till dark (since we always leave town late), camp, get up next day and drive around, explore and camp at a different place? does that style of camping have a term or official name?

np on the ideas for those that are following suit by keeping track and thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I'd say overlanding covers the gap to include van travel. An expedition has more of a defined purpose.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

We usually go on a little trip once a month. Most are for 4 or 5 nights. I guess this year we have spent about 30 nights in the van.