Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #11

Re: If you sold your Sportsmobile, why?

Our beloved Wilson will be going to a new home soon :a6:

Why:

More room for Wife and New Baby
Indoor shower and potty

95% Sure we will wind up with a Tiger

FYI-
Wilson is my 5th rig i have built out
It is near perfect, would not change a thing

Indoor potty and shower will allow longer and more often trips
Because the wife will be much more comfortable
Also solved the seating issue for baby # 1, as will be on a Crew Cab chassis

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Site Team

Here are my thoughts I shared with a fellow SMB owner when they were trying to decide whether or not to sell their SMB and go a different route (this was after I had sold my SMB).

Herb

[EDIT: Trust me, there were times on my trip last month when I wished I still had my SMB. 95 degrees, single digit humidity, together with 25-30mph winds made me wish my son and I could have sheltered ourselves in our SMB. And then there's the fact that California expects me to tow a trailer at 55mph, while 80 mph is fine in Utah. Go figure. 55mph on a CA highway or interstate? That's a death wish.]

--------------------------------------

Do I have any regrets? Sure, but I would do the same thing again. An SMB is a unique, interesting, fun vehicle, and I enjoy having out-of-the-norm vehicles.

Below are my basic motivations in selling the SMB and going with a tow vehicle and trailer, and some random thoughts:

1) I found it to be a pain when I had to break my camp down almost completely when I wanted to go exploring or to run to town for supplies. Sure, being fully self contained, and being able to leave on a trip with minimal planning and packing was nice, but while on a trip, I'd much rather be able to leave my camp set up without being tied down to my camp. One downside is, depending on where you travel, not knowing if you can trust everybody who may come across your unattended trailer at a campsite. So far, it's never been a problem.

2) I had a LOT of money tied up in one vehicle, and I tended to want to only use that vehicle for special trips. I didn't want a significant amount of the miles to be from running around town. Couple that with not being able to get out of town often enough, and I couldn't justify having so much money tied up in one vehicle. I was able to purchase a great tow/roadtrip vehicle and my trailer, and still pay off a number of other bills with what we sold out SMB for.

2a) If we ever decide to go a different direction and sell our tow vehicle or trailer, or let's say there was a catostrophic event with one vehicle or the other, one could be replaced without our full capabilty going away.

3) I had concerns with what I view as an overly complicated SMB. All the sub-systems in an SMB have the potential of many failure points. I also had some doubts as to the quality control of some of the SMB installations. Being how many are somewhat integrated, a failure can result in an expensive fix without being able to go with an alternative system. For example, I like the simplicity and flexibility of a portable fridge (ARB for me), and an easy to use, fix if necessary, replaceable stove top.

4) I felt insulated, and a bit isolated from the outdoors when in my SMB. I bought it to spend more time outdoors, and found myself spending too much time in the SMB, as oppossed to just hanging out outside. I view my teardrop as a bedroom only, except for cases of nasty weather, during which times it can seem a bit cramped.

5) Potential downside to a trailer setup is not having an "indoor" space for living space and cooking, especially in inclement weather. This factor can be inconsequential, or significant depending on where you camp, and what time of year you camp. My cooking area is only minimally sheltered from rain, so that could be an issue occasionally. We do have a standard pop-up canopy that could be used as cover, but it wouldn't really work too well with the teardrop rear hatch. One of the mods I'm having done to my teardrop right now is to have a portable stove installed in place of the permanently mounted stove. That way I can take the stove under our canopy to cook if necessary. If you get an AT, you could get a canopy or an awning to cook under or just relax under.

6) A tow vehicle and trailer can be more challenging on roads than a single self-contained vehicle. Whether or not this is a limitation or not depends on where you'll be going. I never felt comfortable with taking a $100K vehicle on much more than fire roads. Not based on my driving technique, but just the stress that it would put on a large, heavy vehicle. I'd much rather set up a base camp area, and then go exploring with my vehicle. I'm towing our trailer with a Ford Excursion. Whether or not I decide to tow with my '69 Bronco, I haven't decided yet. Our trailer isn't too heavy, but a short wheelbase, lifted vehicle doesn't make the best tow rig. I definitely would need to check my Bronco's trailer hitch for safety, improve it's brakes, and get it a brake controller to feel safe.

7) Storage may or may not be an issue for you. I have just enough room in my side yard to store my trailer.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

It would be because we no longer can travel...as in health issues. Not much I would change about our SMB. No propane or water but works for us, as always stay in campgrounds.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

Bringing this back up, as its an interesting thread. Shines the light on what would make a smb more suitable to the masses.

People are more likely to keep or buy a smb if it:

-cost less
-had more interior space
-was quick/easy to setup/tear down so you can leave camp to explore

After almost a year of ownership I can see my rigs limitation:

-Maintenance cost
-Space good for 2 adults and 2 small kids; anymore would be pushing it
-10mpg
-modding gets expensive (I have an addictive behavior)
-takes 30 min the break down

Pros for keeping it:
-cool as heck
-stealth camper
-4x4 capable gets you to cool boon dock spots
-doomsday ready
-just add fuel and go
-climate control when camping
-slice of home on the road
-retains value (if bought used)
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #15

sold my 2002 Dodge SMB that I loved. I sold it because the rear double gaucho dinette was too small to sleep on when folded down. It fell short a few feet.

Plus I found it very comfortable when in the drivers seat but a tight squeeze when wanting to
walk down the isle to the rear of it. Very tight quarters.

Perhaps the new RB50 config would have been better use of space for my wife and myself.

Lastly, it seems with all Ford based SMB's that I would have to put the penthouse top up
every time we stopped as I never liked walking around on my knees or crouched.

Having said all that....I will find another one that better suits our lifestyle no doubt.
If a 2WD will put a lift kit on it or just do a 4x4 conversion if I cannot find a good SMB4x4.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #16

I would only sell mine if I already had another in the driveway. I don 't like my floorplan and would like a 44ish plan and maybe 4x4.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #17

Timing and serendipity...

We had our van (03 EB 50, 7.3 PSD, Q4x4) for a great 10 years- many great adventures. Our son camped for the first time at 6 weeks in it!.

This winter, we spent 3 months travelling around New Zealand in 2 different Sprinter campers- the first was a regular Sprinter 170 extended with a great camper conversion, and the second a "blown out" Sprinter with a cab over bed.

We loved the extra space, the comfort, the ease of breaking camp, and the drivability. So much so that while there, I started looking into larger vans (Sprinter, Ducato\Promaster, and Transit). I hadn't made any decisions when a local list member expressed interest in a van like ours, AND mentioned that he could get us a good deal on a Sprinter.

We communicated back and forth, he looked at the van, and we came up with a deal with we both felt comfortable.

I must admit, as he drove away in "our" SMB, we felt sad. But we're excited to start the process of configuring and converting a Sprinter!!!

It was not on our immediate agenda to sell, but the deal worked out to everyones advantage- they got a great deal on a van that was spec'd close to what they were looking for, and we got a great deal on a new Sprinter.

John
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote