Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

If you sold your Sportsmobile, why?

I thought this might be an interesting topic. There seem to be great members of this forum who no longer have Sportsmobiles. And it would be interesting to know why.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
If you sold your Sportsmobile, why?

Didn't use it enough (too much $$$ tied up just parked in my garage)..... Most of the options we picked we did not use much. Just wanted to build my own that can accommodate our lifestyle. But I do like the SMB concept.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: If you sold your Sportsmobile, why?

I've thought of it even before I purchased mine. Some of the things for me were:
>>Size. I didn't know if I would feel cramped in it. I don't have kids but that would be a factor for some.

>>Bathroom facilities. It is still a factor for me. A large bathroom and shower would be nice during those cold winter days.

>>Health. After I hurt my back, I decided I needed an electric top no matter what the extra would be. I still wonder what will happen in the future. Crawling up into the PH isn't the easiest thing to do and after lifting the vehicle more I had to add electric steps to help get into the van itself.

>>Cost to operate. I spend a lot on this thing not to mention the future cost of fuel.

>>Hot weather. I thought the Starcool would be the ticket to camping in a warm climate when shore power was available. It just doesn't work as well as I thought it would. I figured after retirement it would be nice to see the USA with my van. Not too sure I want to visit warm regions w/o a good air conditioner.

>>Burnout. Although I'm not there yet, I don't know if I'll get tired of taking it out. I hope not

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #4

If I sell my SMB, it will be to buy another one. It is commonly accepted that by the 3rd SMB you will have the ideal floorplan.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Re: Re: If you sold your Sportsmobile, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
If I sell my SMB, it will be to buy another one. It is commonly accepted that by the 3rd SMB you will have the ideal floorplan.

Mike
Interesting. I pick up SMB #2 in August. I did do some things differently this time, EB and a fixed top, added propane heat and stove. Guess there's one more in my future.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Garage

If I could afford to trade up to an Earth Cruiser. Saw one at Overland Expo and I was really impressed.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

Well, though I'm a homebuild with a CCV top, I will contribute anyway. The only reason I would sell would be to upgrade, or add options I can't add with my present conversion. 4wd is a good example. My van is a 5.4 and I just don't think I would spend the money without a better powerplant. The 5.4 is fine, I don't want to hijack, but it's not enough for all the weight I have plus 4wd.

Plus, I just like to build them. I love mine but have thought of building another one just to try some different things. Situations change. I can presently sleep my family of four but will be forced to upgrade as they grow.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I had a 2002 for exactly six months. Thought I wanted an EB. Thought I wanted a fixed roof. Turns out I didn't want either. Also turns out I didn't want a Quigley. But it was a great deal, sold it to a list member in one day and almost got my money back--no complaints.

Number two fixed all that.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

I sold for several reasons. I have a family of four and it got too cramped with 2 growing boys and gear. It started to take us 45 minutes + to set up and stow gear at camp.

We also go skiing a lot and camping at the mountain in the SMB for a family of 4 and a dog in cold weather is really cramped and difficult with all the ski gear that is usually wet. Also ours didn't have a heater built in. Tried many alternative sources and best was generator but still space was difficult.

A lot of $$ tied up into a rig that we used occasionally. It made more economic sense for our family to buy a cheap travel trailer and have 3 times the space at 3 times less the cost. Now I don't feel guilty when it is sitting there not being used. It doesn't need driven or maintenance.

We ended up going with a travel trailer (relatively small one at 21 feet) and love it. Been camping a ton in it at the mountains and everywhere. Whole family loves the space and the freedom it brought. Now when we arrive at campsite we can unhook trailer and explore in rig without having to break camp everytime just to explore.

I would say the SMB would be perfect for 2 people and we might consider it again after the kids leave since I like the versatility of it and the relative small footprint it has.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

Used infrequently but required more maintenance on the vehicle side
Too cramped, partly due to the layout, rear dinette, full bath on side in RB chassis if buy again it will be RB50
Replaced w/ Casita, more room, can unhitch use tow vehicle
Like to wander, explore from campsite, significant other likes to relax, read books at camp, so both can do their thing with detachable unit. Love the van for traveling, might do a v10 ujoint rb for tow vehicle with old school van conversion- rear bed, fridge for traveling w/o trailer.
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote