Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Garage
input on in-helmet communication devices.

looking for a setup for the wife and I. don't need to communicate with others, just looking for better ways to keep track of the wife. our little bikes are kinda noisy and with full face helmets communication is sometimes a pita. not really sure what I should be looking for, but when I start searching there is lots of info out there and most of it seems to be pointed at the more expensive units. I cant find any reviews on the lesser brands or setups. anyone recommend a brand or setup that they've used with good results? thanks in advance!

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Garage
We use the Scala Rider Q3. It works ok. Don't expect amazing quality sound, but it's enough to communicate. Took some experimenting to get the speakers in a good place.

scala rider Q3 MultiSet - Cardo Systems
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Garage
thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

don't really care about crystal clear sound. just need to be able to relay that she can make it up an obstacle, to turn when shes not in my mirror, and the big question, is your foot hurting and do we need to go back to camp? as long as we can communicate is the biggest hurdle.

what kind of range in between you and the other rider does it have? need to be able to see them? work around a corner?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

We use Scala Q3's
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

don't really care about crystal clear sound. just need to be able to relay that she can make it up an obstacle, to turn when shes not in my mirror, and the big question, is your foot hurting and do we need to go back to camp? as long as we can communicate is the biggest hurdle.

what kind of range in between you and the other rider does it have? need to be able to see them? work around a corner?
The biggest distance we've ever used it is about 50 yards in line of sight. I'm sure it could work at bigger distances, it's just never come up.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

We have been separated by over 1/2 mile and I could still hear the wife cursing me for going through the yellow light
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ lol!

Ok great info guys. Thanks again for the feedback.

One of the ladies I work with travels often with her husband on a bike. I asked her if she had any recommendations and she had good things to say about the scala as well. She said quite a few of the group they ride with use them with good results. She also said uclear which is a local company to the boise area was another good choice, but they were twice the price of the q3's. She also said her husband buys stuff like that all the time and that she would talk to the hubby and bring in a couple of setups they are no longer using so we can try them out. Thought that was cool. I'll update after I try whatever she brings to work.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

Garage
^^^ Shenrie, sounds like you're on to some good info there. My $.02:

I ride a Harley. Just trying to communicate with my passenger in back is a chore. I'll take quality audio any day over crap.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #9

Garage
^^^ hopefully onto a good cheap source! they ride Harleys as well and now use a setup that's part of the bike. so theyre offering me their previous setup since they no longer need it.

so she came into work today with this setup:

https://ucleardigital.com/shop/helme...stem-dual-kit/

offering it t me for about a 1/4 of the list price. taking it home tonight to see if we like the setup. ill report back after we update the firmware and try them out.