Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Instagram

Not sure how many of you use Instagram but, there is an account called @sportsmobiles

The guy (or gal) just stole two of my pictures and attempted to pass them off as his own. Pretty classless.

Just a heads up . . . .

Edit: They were actually stolen out my album on this forum.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

A lot of people do that sort of thing on Instagram. It wouldn't bother me. It's usually just a fan posting and sharing pics of things they like. Keep in mind that anything you post here, or anywhere, is essentially public domain. Anyone can screenshot any picture. It's just technology vs. privacy and technology always wins. Also, I doubt the guy is passing them off as his own. Did he actually state that? People repost on IG all the time.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Screenshotting an image, adding a new caption and then posting on your account without giving a picture credit or otherwise citing the original source is a major breach of etiquette. Without any indication of who took the actual picture, it is assumed it is your original content (images, words,etc.). At a minimum, it is dishonest.

There have been several occasions where individuals and manufacturers have used an image I have created. Every time they asked permission. Every time they gave me credit for it.

I am guessing it is someone on this forum. How hard is it to send me a PM, "Hey, I like this picture. Mind if I post it?"? I mean, you are already in my picture album. One more click!

If you have a Sportsmobile and you call your instagram @Sportsmobiles, get a camera and take your own pictures.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

I see your point but I'd say it's an uphill battle. I agree the person must be on this forum and they do have a pretty unusual way of 'crediting' the photos, by just saying thanks to whoever after the fact, but if this really bothers you that much I'd ditch Instagram altogether. I love it for the nature and van life pics but it isn't made for that. It's for kids. It's for selfies, we're just on the fringes. Young people don't follow the rules of etiquette, custom or really ethics at all.

Sadly it seems like I get an advertisement on there about every 5 pictures now so I don't know that I'll hang around much longer there either.

By the way those are beautiful pics that were reposted. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

I think I am already over it. Just a bit of a surprise to find an image you took the time to create under someone elses name.

Ditto with IG. Too bad. It is a nice way to share pics with friends and family. But the ads . . . .

Glad you liked the pics.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #6

Garage
I've had one of mine, from my album here on the forum, reposted also on IG.
Not too big a deal, but they should have at least given the owner photo credit.
Oh well, I'm not planning on becoming famous anyway, so for now, imitation will just have to flatter me!

Mike
Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Still waiting on this mystery person to come forward. The van looks pretty familiar. In case you guys haven't noticed the owner of the account (I think) has a high top EB, like a gray color. It's a great looking van but not a regular on here so I can't place who it is.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #8

I don't know if he owns the account, and generally half of IG is borrowed photos, but the high top van featured early is OCSMB's... There's a shot of it with the weird square tube roof rack he got rid of.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #9

Happened to me as well. Must of taken it off the gallery here and reposted on Instagram. Is what it is.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #10

Instagram

From what I've gathered this person is in the LA area and they know we're talking about them because it's been commented on in some pics and they respond to other comments but not ones about their thievery. At this point I'm just curious who it is. You would think they would listen to reason.
Example:

BTW I'm ericofcourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk