Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #1

Introductions & First Trip Report

Hello All, have made a few posts here but using this one as our more formal intro. Purchased our E-350 EB 4x4 PSD SMB from Fresno earlier this year. Have made a few shake down runs in it but this trip to Utah is the first big one. Plan is to be able to head out on 1-2 week trips as time allows and right now it's a bit difficult to find that kind of time.

So far, after about 3000 miles, our "Sporty" (haven't found a more unique name for her yet) has just been wonderful. I really admire the product Alan and crew have developed. No major problems to speak of anywhere. THe 50 layout is really working for us well. Glad we got the EB instead of the RB because "going light" has always been a challenge for me and I really appreciate the extra room in the EB.

Primary destination for this trip has been Moab area in Utah. Have been using Charles A Wells' guide and so far it's been a great tool. Yesterday did trail #7, Bartlett Overlook, NW of Moab. Sporty handled this fantastically beautiful trail very well. I did find the low point in the back, but hey, who really needs a trailer connector if you're not towing a trailer? Did try an alternate route at the end called Mashed Potatoes and quickly found out the limits of the EB. Landed HARD once in the rear and retreated. But still, as you all know, the SMB's capabilities are really awesome for most trails.

Toady is Arches NP and tomorrow is Fins N Things E of Moab. This trip really pushing Sporty to find its limits.

So far real happy with the 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's although steering hasn't been great. Have aired the front down to 55psi, and that helped a lot. Also adjusted toe in OUTWARD a bit and that has helped. ?? Go figure.

Only gripe I have with the whole vehicle is the Kenwood 7160. Ergonomically it is poor. THe discreet buttons it does have are all touch panel - very hard to find while driving. Screen can be hard to read. Very long latency changing from one mode to another. Ipod interaction is just "ok" and sometimes it seems to lose its mind. There must be a better option out there. If you do get one, be sure to read the manual.

Really happy I spent the $ on the soundproofing. I went full boat and can tell the difference.

Oh, I did find out what happens when a front PH top latch swings back into place after unlatching. The powerful PH jacks will just bend the #&$%! out of the the front latch bracket cross member. Fortunateley no other damage. Add paying attention to the check list.

And mileage has been consistently 11.6 ish the whole time we've had the van. Was expecting better. A bit disappointed although I do drive fairly fast at about 75 outside CA. Thoughts on this one?

Anyway, happy to meet you all and thank you for all the great info in this forum. Just as a by the way, I'm also designing a Home Built on a Dodge 5500 chassis. Watch for details on that in EP forum. Why? I just can't stand still and I'm a bit obsessed with expedition vehicles right now and want to build something for more extreme off roading trips. In the meantime, the Sporty is our favorite!
Attached Thumbnails
Hidden Valley outlook.jpg   HmmMaybeanRBinstead.jpg   BreakfastatBartletts.jpg  

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Re: Introductions & First Trip Report

I daydream of being able to do a DIY while enjoying our SMB, however for starters I can't seem to stop adding to nor upgrading the SMB.

Nice looking cabinets, good photos. If you put them in your gallery they'll be accessible everywhere.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Great looking truck! You make me wish I lived out west vs. the "far east" in CT.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #4

Sharp looking rig. And great travel plans. You will have a lot of fun, its addictive.