Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Garage
We get it all the time - but then we are on the East Coast where these machines are not as prevalent.
I believe a lot of the curiosity is sparked by the perceived simplicity & romance of just being able to "just get away from it all"

We live in an area that attracts a lot of Tourist, and with the Van parked in the driveway, knocks on the door are numerous. Many of the transient Boaters become so intrigued they seem converted - want to begin a new lifestyle. Even had the Canadian Boarder Patrol flag us to the side just so they could get a tour.
House next door is presently going through a remodel, so all types of tradesmen have expressed interest & also told us that most people describe a destination in this area based on the "house with the awesome van"
Dont believe we have been anywhere that we were not approached. All walks of life asking questions - we do enjoy answering questions (and with some, providing a brief tour) simply because you get to meet so many fun & interesting people.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #12

Garage
Gotta say....

....If there was an advanced/futuristic device available for our vans....that you could activate to create a Star-Trek-style "cloaking" whenever you wanted to (rendering your van completely invisible....or perhaps making your van look like some other totally unnoticeable vehicle (like a ten-year-old Toyota Camry....)

....I would want that.

(For me....having the "ultimate freedom" with an SMB to "travel/go anywhere/get away from it all" would be supremely ideal if it attracted no attention whatsoever.)

That's just me.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #13

I agree Mike. I love building and playing with these things and I hate that they are getting so popular at the same time.

I really hate to be bothered by people when camping but I try to be gracious. It just happened tonight at a commercial campground I would never stay in, but was happy to pay for a shower in. I guess the guy saw our door open and he came to chat seemingly at light speed.

Back to the article. So the guy is picking at #vanlife but he travels around and camps off grid in an Airstream? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black IMO. Wally Byam brought more attention to life on the road than any of us ever will.
As for the #vanlife hashtag, the Instagram photos and creating trendy black wheeled vans.....guilty, but this guy’s article is a bit one sided. Travel trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers have been covering up what’s left of ‘off grid’ camping spots for lots longer than vans have, our way just looks cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I agree Mike. I love building and playing with these things and I hate that they are getting so popular at the same time.

I really hate to be bothered by people when camping but I try to be gracious. It just happened tonight at a commercial campground I would never stay in, but was happy to pay for a shower in. I guess the guy saw our door open and he came to chat seemingly at light speed.

Back to the article. So the guy is picking at #vanlife but he travels around and camps off grid in an Airstream? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black IMO. Wally Byam brought more attention to life on the road than any of us ever will.
As for the #vanlife hashtag, the Instagram photos and creating trendy black wheeled vans.....guilty, but this guy’s article is a bit one sided. Travel trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers have been covering up what’s left of ‘off grid’ camping spots for lots longer than vans have, our way just looks cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. That's part of the irony that I think Outside recognized as they've pusher #vanlife hard the past couple of years.

-d-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #15

I just did a 6 week trip mtn biking and fishing. Ferry to AK and back to Co. The amount of attention my van gets has been giving me second thoughts, and possibly getting something a little more low key down the road. I love it and is my has been my dream vehicle for 15yrs. But l'm really use to flying under the radar. Everybody I have met is real nice that want to discuss it or ask if I mind if they take photos. Or I love it when people are taking photos while I'm in it. But the one thing that is kinda annoying and is asked pretty much in every conversation is "if you don't mind me asking how much do you have in it?" My standard answer now is "about 33 gallons."
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #16

First world problems....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

Yep. One of the MANY reasons I got RID of mine I'm an outa sight outa mind kinda guy. WAY to much attention I had a couple of paranoidist who wanted to buy my Van Have ya seen the price of a rathole in the Bay area? Starting at a Million bucks a pop Lock up your Vans folks the CRAZIES on the loose
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
First world problems....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Well, duh......

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #19

Interest in Rig.....

Well, my rig has changed...
(see photos, 19ft class C)

but, i am at a State Park day camping with my daughter
2-3 days a week....

I get one to many folks come by and say what is that?

Love to get the guys with the $300,000 rigs come by...
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #20

interesting article

In light of this discussion, I was interested to see this cover on the latest Willamette Week, Portland's alternative weekly rag. I haven't actually read it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
van-cover.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote