Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Is it ever gonna rain in CA?sI

I'm wondering if any of you are planning on changing any of your camping plans in CA for 2014 given that we haven't had any rain, and it's not looking good for the rest of the year.

I've been in the western Mojave a lot in the last year, and never seen it this dry. Ditto around my home in Oakland. I was here in the last big drought, but that was spread out over some years and no one calendar year was as bad as our last one.

I'm wondering if there will be any spring flowers this year, even if it rains. Last year reliable areas had very little, if anything.

OTOH, just got back from the Central CA coast. Was like 80 in Morro Bay Tuesday. Warmer than the summer, with a nice offshore wind and 10+' surf. And four sites occupied in the campground (Morro Strand). I just looked at Wundermap: 71 in Crescent City, 80 in San Diego. Sheesh; does it get any better?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Re: Is it ever gonna rain in CA?sI

You can have some of our rain! I can't get anything done outside on my SMB project since it won't ever dry out enough! the van is too tall to get in the garage.

Hate it for CA though, too much of either pretty much sucks.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Probably subtly changing our plans a bit. We just were in Morro Bay - Montana de Oro for 5 days last week with lots of hiking and biking; and Carrizo Plain for 5 days before that with very few people around. Probably wouldn't have done Carrizo Plain if it were raining.

It would be nice to get some rain though. I'd like to go back to Carrizo Plain if it ever blooms.
-Kevin
Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

You were in my neck of the woods! It got up to 90 degrees here in San Luis Obispo today.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Dia

Yup, Santa Barbara area here, and we hit somewhere in the mid-80s about 5 blocks from the beach. I've got dishpans in my sinks so I can still water the garden, and I'm thinking about rigging something for the shower, too.

We usually do Tahoe and river rafting during the summer, but this year we may skip it and head north to Glacier Nat'l Park and / or Crater Lake and the Olympic Peninsula. Last summer, I'm not sure the Merced had any rafting season at all, and the South Fork American only had a partial one.

The inland Cali mountains are going to be firetraps this year.

Re: Morro Bay area - We like Montana de Oro, go every year.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
You can have some of our rain!
X2. I'm not sure if it's record breaking but it's been a wet winter for us here as well.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

We're not having a dry year up here. A dry year would mean 75-80% of normal rain.
So far this year we're getting 25%. It's turning into a full blown catastrophic drought.
Fire season could be a bad as '87.
We'll be heading to slick rock country where it's always dry and there's nothing to burn.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Dia

Last I checked, we're at 10% to 17%, depending on exactly which station, etc.

For Christmas, I drove 210 from SB to Palm Desert and back and didn't see a single lick of snow on the mountains, nothing visible from the freeway. I've been here since '86, and I've never seen that before. Also, the hillsides usually turn green by now, but they're not. They're brown.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I'm waiting for the passes to open. A few years ago I visited Tuolumne Meadows in late winter and the meadows were brown, looking more like fall time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #10

We're dry here in NM too, with fire danger on the rise. But we're not as dry as you Californians are. Hope you get some moisture soon.