Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #1

Is It my Ego?

You know sports fans........ I/we love my SMB, But as it goes so do sooooo many other folks out there. I cant tell you how many times I get comments from passer-byers about how cool (I'll just say our) vans are. If its not hang loose finger waves, thumbs up's, fist pumps, head and neck rubber necks as we scream by on the road or all the above. People come up to me at least once a day when I'm out "show and tellin" and say...."cool van, or nice van, or sick van, or whoaaaaa, SportsMobile!" Deep down inside, I'm gleaming. This is just the vice for a mid life crisis. Ok ....one of them. I might have a few more. But I even go so far at times when I'm walking with my surf board down to the shore and look back to look at it myself and think, " Its sooo cool , and it's mine" I thank god these days for many things in my life, and as wierd as it sounds even my SMB. I call it my memory maker. It provides so many great avenues for the ones I love to have awesome single and multi day outings. I even take it to the skate park with my kids, set up camp for the day in the parking lot.....cook hotdogs, break out the sodas, chips whatever. Its an awesome non intrusive day camp. I do this at the beach in La Jolla alot to. When I pop the top for cooking head room I equate it to "alcatraze on wheels" Yes this does alot for my fragile, mid-life ego. It keeps me a hero with my kids, and in a fun way connected with strangers. I hope your ego gets padded a little too. We know it does C Ya!

4:10 detroit locker
6 inch lift,
man. pop top
Trojans, nerf bars, Tire rack
Yakima surf racks,
Very Very cool looking van
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I think we've gotten a similar reaction at every campsite we've been to so far. People want to come in and have a look around. Once when I couldn't let a guy in because my kid was inside napping, he asked "what's it got in it?" and when I told him... sleeps 4, refrigerator, 2-burner propane stove, microwave, A/C, furnace, sink, pantry, porta potti, he couldn't believe it.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #3

Re: Is It my Ego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis
You know sports fans........ I/we love my SMB, But as it goes so do sooooo many other folks out there. I cant tell you how many times I get comments from passer-byers about how cool (I'll just say our) vans are. If its not hang loose finger waves, thumbs up's, fist pumps, head and neck rubber necks as we scream by on the road or all the above. People come up to me at least once a day when I'm out "show and tellin" and say...."cool van, or nice van, or sick van, or whoaaaaa, SportsMobile!" Deep down inside, I'm gleaming. This is just the vice for a mid life crisis. Ok ....one of them. I might have a few more. But I even go so far at times when I'm walking with my surf board down to the shore and look back to look at it myself and think, " Its sooo cool , and it's mine" I thank god these days for many things in my life, and as wierd as it sounds even my SMB. I call it my memory maker. It provides so many great avenues for the ones I love to have awesome single and multi day outings. I even take it to the skate park with my kids, set up camp for the day in the parking lot.....cook hotdogs, break out the sodas, chips whatever. Its an awesome non intrusive day camp. I do this at the beach in La Jolla alot to. When I pop the top for cooking head room I equate it to "alcatraze on wheels" Yes this does alot for my fragile, mid-life ego. It keeps me a hero with my kids, and in a fun way connected with strangers. I hope your ego gets padded a little too. We know it does C Ya!
Rest assured that you are not alone! So far, I've done more day camping with the kids that over-nighters. That will change as they get older.

R
Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

What's the problem again?

The biggest issue I've run into is a camping disparity- when your friends are camping in a tent or huddled in the back of a 71 land cruiser because it's raining and 40° and you're in the SMB all cozy warm it's tough.

But this (a 4x4 van) is a lifelong dream of mine and the RV part is a whole new world to us. Absolutely worth it.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #5

Well said Curtis!! This is my daily driver and definelty my mid life crisis vehicle. I convinced my wife it was much better than a tiny little sportscar and now she loves it. When I bought it I did not realize how much attention I would get driving this thing around town. I can not tell you how many time a day I have to give the thumbs up. On top of all this my kids think there dad is way cool. Dad can we show Jimmy how the top pops up ..please please please.... And my 16 year old wants to go everywhere with me so his friends can see him in what he considers the coolest vehicle ever. I must admit it is the coolest vehicle I have ever owned. I often turn around after parking just to check out the cool rig. I have never been known to have OCD but I am addicted to this SMB. This forum is part of my daily life and I am always looking for upgrades and improvements. Now to justify all the money spent on this rig, what else could I sell to add something to the SMB? BC posted a link to this article in a previous post -- it is a must read and might sound very familiar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/fashi ... ef=fashion

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #6

Then there is the dark side of having people notice your SMB. Like the older guy at the Flying J Truck stop in Twin Falls Idaho, who wouldn't get out of my way when I was wrestling with a recalcitrant diesel pump trying to fuel and go and it was 20 degrees F with a sharp breeze blowing. He kept saying in a dreamy voice "I could live in one of these!" and "Did you build the bumpers yourself?" I had to nearly run him over just to escape the madness.

Here in town, the other Baja Tan SMB appears to be owned by a bigger curmudgeon than me, and has two large silver medallions front and back that say "BOUNTY HUNTER" on them. Never having met the guy, I have no idea whether he is one, but he drives his rig around town more than I do, and I'm getting tired of being mistaken for him. "You and your Sportsmobile hang out a lot at that downtown coffee shop don't you? friends ask. Actually I don't since I don't drink coffee.

And last summer, I came out of the grocery store to find a rather attractive women literally fondling the SMB. "What sort of van is this?" she asked in an awe-struck voice as she dragged her fingers over the front bumper. I blurted out some SMB info, packed up and left before she messed up my just washed SMB with more fingerprints.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Sick, cool, bad ass, tornado chaser, Hummer on steroids, tank, and looks like solid testosterone are just a few of the comments made along with… looks like it gets 5 gallons to the mile and “what is that”. I have had people on top of and under the van and had to make a plate for the ladder to keep them off. I have been pulled over by the local PD twice in town to ask to see it.

[A bad look] I got a nasty look from a Prius owner when I parked next to them.

[The coolest look] I had 2 black hawk choppers drop to about 50 feet or so then circled looking at the van. Wish I had my camera. I thought they were gonna land.

[The scariest look] 2 guys pulled into the freeway pointing at my van and t-boned a Chevy Tahoe. The closest I have been to totaling out my van.

[The meanest look] Got the bird from a vehicle passing me. Usually I get a thumbs up. Down the road I noticed my Hella backup lights were on.

dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #8

Great post Curtis.

Here are the Top 10 quotes about my SMB:

10. Favorite quote from a 20 +/- guy: "Dude that is so sick, its dope!"

9. Another young guy on a date asked if he could take a photo of it. This was in Flagstaff. "That's so sweet!"

8. Favorite quote from a homeless guy in Santa Monica: "I used to live in one of those in the 60's (presumably just a van). Can I have fifty cents?"

7. Quote from my sister: "You look like the plumber." (I have a white SMB)

6. Quote from my mom: "Why do you need another vehicle? Where are you going to park it?"

5. Quote from Jage: "Can you air up my tires?"

4. Quote from foreign guy: "Is that the new Hummer?"

3. Quote from obnoxious buddy of mine: "But it doesn't have a jacuzzi!"

2. Quote from US Border Agent at remote Montana crossing: "Nice van, you can do anything in that. Is that a 4x4? How do you like it?"

1. Quote from Canadian Border Agent in Victoria (coming off the ferry from Port Angeles): "Do you have any weapons or drugs with you? Why are you traveling alone into Canada? Please pull over so we can inspect (search) the van. Step out of the vehicle... (one hour later)... Welcome to Canada"

Oh, what fun!
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #9

Most annoying (and regular): "What kind of Jeep is that?"

Most frustrating (and all too common): "Did you build that yourself?" (Oh I wish I had!)

Scariest: The homeless guy in Austin stalking me as I crawled in traffic towards an on ramp only to run out to the corner and mock shoot me in the head. I'm convinced he really thought he had a gun.

My wife: "I love the van." and "Ah, heat." and "I've never had heat before camping, it's wonderful." and "This is the life." (referring to heat & ice cream)

Second best ever: Being greeted by a line of waiting SMBs at Death Valley.

Best ever (from my niece and nephew after camping in my van): Who's van is better, Unkie's or Daddy's? "UNKIES!!"

Border Agents in Texas when asked why they wanted to see in the bumpers, was it professional interest or personal curiosity: "........."

DMV: "What is this, you can't register this."
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #10

You confirm.....

I'm dying reading your replies. Were all in this togethor. This summer for all who are or want to be in the San Diego area, I want to set up a beach day at La Jolla shores where the parking is great (if you get there early) and there is a ton of lawn space and bbq's and I'll bring all my surf boards. If we stay into o'dark thirty, we can grab a fire ring, I'll break out the guitar, pop a top, and let it go till when ever were too exhausted to care anymore. Sound good!? Let me know and well throw out a few dates.
Ok my favorite quote came from Big Bear Lake just a couple months back after skiing. A local came up to the van, his eyes got huge, mouth and jaw dropped wide open and paused (as if suspended split frame motion) Then he squat down, threw his hands in the air and uddered "DUDE........ its like LIFE ITSELF! You could travel the world and always be HOME!" Kind-of says it all doesnt it C Ya!
4:10 detroit locker
6 inch lift,
man. pop top
Trojans, nerf bars, Tire rack
Yakima surf racks,
Very Very cool looking van
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote