Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Garage
JCT Livewire TS Ford 6.0 Tuner Suggestions?

Hello,

After your thoughts on JCT Livewire TS Tuner programmer suggestions for my Rebuilt Ford 6.0 diesel
with EGR delete, bored 20thou, APR head Studds, all Aluminium radiator, Run Cool http://www.hoodlouvers.com colour matched bonnet vents, Air scoop under front Aluminess Bullbar(Tapatio build idea).

Here in Australia I sit on a speeds of 60mph/100kph to 65mph/105kph , to get the the best mile per gallon and to not overheat the engine in our very hot summer climate, with my 2012 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4 3500 crew Long-bed & 2014 Eagle Cap 1160 Truck Camper and Trailer.

The JCT Livewire Tuner has bee set for the EGR delete, so no default code will appear, and has the capacity to vary the temperature when the OEM clutch fan comes on, probably at a lower temperature.
However, hoping with Bonnet grills & Under front Aluminess Bullbar, this helps to lower engine bay temperatures.

The Livewire will display temperature for Boost, Radiator, Transmission, etc, to keep a closer eye on engine Temperatures.

I want to use this gauge to monitor and achieve the best fuel economy and tank range.

But, am after your suggestions or experience with Tuners, what programming do you suggest, please?

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Re: JCT Livewire TS Ford 6.0 Tuner Suggestions?

Check out the powerstroke forums for reviews on these.
I've heard mixed things about the livewire.

For monitoring the Edge Insight CTS 2 is supposed to be the latest and greatest. But edge tunes aren't suggested for the 6.0. I am getting an SCT x4 monitor/tuner with an EGT probe. The x4 doesn't look as cool as the llive wire or edge but it's functional. I've read that if your livewire is unplugged the truck won't start. So if your van gets broken into and it gets stolen you have to get it re flashed by a dealership.

The powerstroke forums suggest you bulletproof your head studs when tuning but I imagine if it's just for Eco purposes as long as you get an egt probe and monitor the vitals closely you would be good.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Arrived yesterday...
http://www.dp-tuner.com/infinity-pl-tou ... -7-3l.html

Can't say how well it will work but at least it designed to work and can be upgraded running the 6.0 PSD. Hope so from what I had to pay for the thing Has alarms for a ton of stuff and was told I can pull it for smog purposes.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Make sure you save the stock settings before you tune so you can go back to default for smog.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Charlie. It can hold several tunes at one time. I plan to have a stock tune and several other tunes geared to my engine, what I'm pulling, the terrain along with how hot the weather is. High HP tunes scare the hell out of me...just too costly if the engine is damaged.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences with tunes Dave & Doug.
I've never read reviews from someone with a van.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I hear a lot of good things from 5 star as well but don't know if those guys can install a tune in the tuner I bought. If so I'd spend the cash just to compare them.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

SCT tuner with a custom-written PCM tune and that also adjusts the transmission shift points would be my vote.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
After your thoughts on JCT Livewire TS Tuner programmer suggestions for my Rebuilt Ford 6.0 diesel
with EGR delete, bored 20thou, APR head Studds, all Aluminium radiator, Run Cool colour matched bonnet vents, Air scoop under front Aluminess Bullbar(Tapatio build idea).

Here in Australia I sit on a speeds of 60mph/100kph to 65mph/105kph , to get the the best mile per gallon and to not overheat the engine in our very hot summer climate, with my 2012 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4 3500 crew Long-bed & 2014 Eagle Cap 1160 Truck Camper and Trailer.

The JCT Livewire Tuner has bee set for the EGR delete, so no default code will appear, and has the capacity to vary the temperature when the OEM clutch fan comes on, probably at a lower temperature.
However, hoping with Bonnet grills & Under front Aluminess Bullbar, this helps to lower engine bay temperatures.

The Livewire will display temperature for Boost, Radiator, Transmission, etc, to keep a closer eye on engine Temperatures.

I want to use this gauge to monitor and achieve the best fuel economy and tank range.

But, am after your suggestions or experience with Tuners, what programming do you suggest, please?
I've been using the SCT Livewire since the van was about a year old and 25,000 miles on the odometer. I give it partial credit for my van not having any of the infamous 6.0 Diesel problems and I'm just over 10 years and 150,000 miles -- purchased brand new.

I don't recall the exact numbers (I did post about it years ago so you could probably look it up) but I gained about 10% in my mileage using, I believe, the Tow50 program.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote