Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

John Kalmbach no longer with SMBw

For those of you who have had the pleasure of working with John, the news on the yahoo group is that he has left the company.

There seem to be some interest over how sudden it was, and of course we may not ever know (or need to know) why he chose to leave the company, but my opinion is that his departure from SMB is definitely a loss for the community.

I will speak for myself in that there were many times I grew frustrated trying to work with SMB on different issues, only to have John step in and clear everything up.

Whether or not that was the result of him just being better at dealing with 'whiny' customers or truly being a cut above the rest, I'll leave that for anyone else to decide.

I, for one, am regretting putting off calling him, as I had some stuff to follow up with him on. I don't know if I'll even work with SMB in his absence or just assume full responsibility for my rig.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Garage
John has helped me out before, but not more than my salesperson or others. Yes, he was good and knowledgeable, but any company that big must have others to step in and get the job done. I wish him well.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

Apparently there is a long-running legal issue related to this:

http://banweb.co.fresno.ca.us/plsql/...ate=&end_date=

Folks are hesitant to discuss it on the yahoo group. The only reason I can guess being that people involved in the suit/action are participating members so it might violate some rule about communicating about the case outside of the court (?)
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

can't make it out, it is an employment matter?
i liked john, was preparing to give me my order....
:-(
Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

sure looks like it could be something like a perceived bonus not delivered type of scenario. There is one entry I find interesting though:

Quote:
Order on Motion for Preliminary Injunction signed by Judge A Simpson filed. The Court grants a preliminary injunction prohibiting defendants from taking action to alter the corporate structure of Sportsmobile West, Inc, dissolve the corporation, sell, encumber or transfer all or substantially of its assets, or transfer its stop to anyone but John Kalmbach during the pendency of this action, aabstent prior Court approval. The Court also grants a preliminary injunction prohibiting defendants from disposing of or removing company records (paper of electronic), including those that might routinely be discarded or destroyed in the regular practive of business, during the pendency of this case. Kalmbach shall post a bond of $5,000.00. The Court denies the motion in all other respects ng
which really concerns me, it may just be boilerplate in a case like this and a typical statement, but the bit about freezing the company except to transfer it's stop (?) to John leads me to think maybe he was supposed to buy the company at some point?

Of course, I'm probably WAAY off base here.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
BC

yikes. too bad. Def a breach of contract that John filed back in June. Unfortunate. They may also have promised him a certain position at the company, or share of, vs it becoming his per se.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #7

Until/unless we get more accurate information, I would not conclude anything about this. We don't know the facts of this case and a lawsuit per se is (unfortunately) a very routine event for any decent sized company.
R
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #8

Garage
I believe this is a personal and private issue between John & SMB, and I don't care to know more about it. It's not my business. I think it sucks that someone posted the legal link to the court case over on the yahoo group. Come on, have a little sensitivity and decency. (not referring to you, Buji).
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #9

Shucks, I take no offense. If I thought our discussions here had any bearing on anyone's well being or the outcome of the case then it would be a different story.

I guess my feeling is that public records like that are public for a reason, and discretion is certainly warranted.

I do think it's an interesting event that does affect the SMB community, however.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
BC

I actually think this is useful information, and glad it was posted. And the kind of thing these sorts of forums typically do discuss and or see.

I consider John to be someone who I have trusted, relied on, and have come to know as a great resource/almost friend. Similarly, I know Liz and Allen, and dont wish any of them any of the headaches that are sure to have come from this. In fact I was considering an email to John this very week on a question i have related to batteries, and sorta glad to have seen this to avoid the awkward reply or no reply that would have had me calling Liz to ask for John....
BC is offline   Reply With Quote