Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #11

Re: Ladies, Kids, Admins, and Jage... Don't read this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Reflecting on this, I've realized that my biggest trauma came from DRIVING in NYC... Queens, Brooklyn et al. I think my perspective would be different had I been a pedestrian/cab visitor. Driving was more like trying to dodge real life bullets.
As you have learned, driving in NYC is no picnic. The only thing worse is parking a full size van. (I grew up in NYC and worked "in the city" for 20+ years, driving in that traffic DAILY! Dodging the real life bullets was sometimes preferable.)

Quote:
I'm prolly too old to learn the "rules" of the road there.
Well there's your mistake! You think there are rules!!

Actually, there is one unwritten rule: "Squeeze in.". If there is more than 1/4 of a car length in front of you, then there's room. Move up or 3 other cars will squeeze in.

Quote:
Before we topped the last rise where you could see down in to the city, I said to Christine ( a NYC veteran) "Cain't be so bad, I've lived and driven in New Orleans, Houston, and buckwild Memphis, Tennessee, so this can't be too bad" She just fell out laughing at my dumb@ss.
Hahahahahahaha!!

All kidding aside, NYC is an amazing place to visit, as long as you use public transportation. If you absolutely must drive through, there are some roads better than the ones you MUST avoid at all cost (traffic wise) and more importantly, times of the day to avoid (rush hour starts at 3PM, earlier on Friday's.)

aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

At some point in the future you will look back on this adventure and laugh.

But, for now, it is times like that that make you appreciate other aspects of your life.

Soon you will return to the fun luvin' couple we all enjoy!

Best wishes,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Site Team

cygvan:

Get ready for some culture shock when you move to Elko. I hope you enjoy small towns. But the good news is you can't beat the outdoor adventures. Being able to see the West will be a great experience. There is so much to explore. I hope you have a great time!!!!

Mac
Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #14

@Mike I'm over it, even laughing. Sorta that "nanner-nanner y'all didn't catch me " kind of laugh.

We have already cataloged it as an "adventure" and I wouldn't say I regret it, just don't want to drive back in there again. Makes film I've seen of Calcutta or Tokyo et al seem smooth because in NYC there was a certain meaness in the air and utter disdain for safety, many people never even look around before making violent and high-risk moves in traffic. 'Course it was triple digit hot that day, which it is here about everyday, but those folks weren't accustomed to that.

@cygvan Mac is right, I live in a town of 288, 7 miles from the "big city" of 20,000. It is a whole other world, and takes some getting used to. I'm not quite used to the smallness/know every single person you see aspect, and I've been here 15 years.

And to bring it all to proper perspective, the rest of the 16 days was just fantastic. Sadly, we lost the last four days of footage, some of which was just hilarious. Christine will fix us up with a movie in a bit. I can't wait!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #15

Garage

And, I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah.
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made....
Ridden all the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed...
And if you give me...weed, whites, and wine...
And you show me a sign...
And I'll be Willin' to be movin'.

-Lowell George.
-------------------------

I love NYC! What an exciting place. Of course, I'd never drive a vehicle there, but once you learn how to get around, and if you like to walk long distances, it's a lot of fun.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #16

Here's link to our Taylor Arts FB page which has a "preview" that Christine made for me for my birthday, yesterday. Look at the first thing on the page "Marc's Birthday Adventure" I'm putting this up off the "TGTBT" thread 'cause there's no footage of the van in action, 'cept for one or two quick frames. More accurately depicts my attitude vs. the vitriol that I opened this thread with.

*deleted* this was just a short that appeared briefly on FB
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Site Team

Man, what a talent for making videos!!! I wish you had been at the Valley of Fire Meet and Greet last year. You could have made an awesome video of the 28 rigs and 50+ people who were there.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #18

Why does someone move from jersey to elko? Get ready for culture shock!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
cygvan:

Get ready for some culture shock when you move to Elko. I hope you enjoy small towns. But the good news is you can't beat the outdoor adventures. Being able to see the West will be a great experience. There is so much to explore. I hope you have a great time!!!!

Mac
im totally ready for both. i desperately need less commotion and population and pace and etc etc...

i cannot wait to explore.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
@Mike I'm over it, even laughing. Sorta that "nanner-nanner y'all didn't catch me " kind of laugh.

We have already cataloged it as an "adventure" and I wouldn't say I regret it, just don't want to drive back in there again. Makes film I've seen of Calcutta or Tokyo et al seem smooth because in NYC there was a certain meaness in the air and utter disdain for safety, many people never even look around before making violent and high-risk moves in traffic. 'Course it was triple digit hot that day, which it is here about everyday, but those folks weren't accustomed to that.

@cygvan Mac is right, I live in a town of 288, 7 miles from the "big city" of 20,000. It is a whole other world, and takes some getting used to. I'm not quite used to the smallness/know every single person you see aspect, and I've been here 15 years.

And to bring it all to proper perspective, the rest of the 16 days was just fantastic. Sadly, we lost the last four days of footage, some of which was just hilarious. Christine will fix us up with a movie in a bit. I can't wait!
it sure will be different but its the point for me...ive lived in the suburbs of nyc out here in jersey too long. ive seen everything get paved over and developed and millions of people move in...and i practically had to drive to vermont to see the pleides!! ok maybe an exaggeration.

the suburb i grew up in was a small town at some point. it grew of course by the time i came to be but the changes ive seen have made me feel sort of like a fish out of water....

about that lost footage....how are you guys at animation? lol you could make a cartoon of the experience that was on the lost footage.