Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Ladies, Kids, Admins, and Jage... Don't read this!

I was born on a mountaintop, bred to a bear, got a double row of jawteeth and a double layer of hair.

I been shot at and missed, sh!t at and hit, screwed, sued and tattooed.

I've smoked dope, chewed rope, danced, French romanced, f****d, farted, fought, shot the moon, and drove big trucks.

I been to Janesville, Maine, Spokane, and Fort Wayne, seen three World's Fairs, been around the globe twice, looked danger in the face, and seen goats f*** in the marketplace.

But I ain't never seen no sh!t like NEW YORK CITY.

To all my SMB friends (and enemies) Stay away from that cesspool! I will go to my grave wondering WTF folks like about that sorry@ss sh!theap.

Rant over

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Re: Ladies, Kids, Admins, and Jage... Don't read this!

Agreed!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

What! No video of NEW YORK CITY?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

There will be some video coming in the next week or so. Not quite as complete as we would like.

We bought a new camera to try and outperform our rapidly failing FLIP (they put recharge batts in, and when they go down, you toss the cam in the trash, non-replacable... stoooopid) In the learning curve, we didn't end up using the new cam as much and actually lost a bunch (approx 1/3) of our total footage of a 16 day, 3300 mile tour in the process of trying to stuff it all in to the Mac. Hatin' me some learning curve just now, and Christine is plain sick about it. That said, truth is, we didn't film a helluva lot in NYC, 'cause it was like being in a fistfight, no time for fun stuff. You just don't think to film in life/death situations. It was really like that. I called Jage on the phone while we were sitting in the middle of 4 lanes per side of stopped traffic (1.25 hours, engine off, folks standing around outside their cars 102 degs)and lamented the fact that I had not listened to his admonitions about taking the van into that hellish place. The client paid fabulously for the service, but there won't be a next time.

Forumdudes, when Christine makes the tour video, y'all gotta bring the kudos, she is really upset about the lost footage and has said she isn't even gonna do it anymore (this'll pass). She takes amazing joy from the comments that come from here about her films.

Lastly, I know I'm over the line w/ the language in the opener on this post. I won't play that hard in the future, but I did want the impact about the BIG CRAP-PLE! Thanks fer puttin' up with me.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Aw, it's not so bad here. Next time you or anybody else from the forum get near, please get in touch and I'll try to show you the better side of Gotham.

Every place has its good and bad.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Hmmmm! I'm from a little town in Wyoming with only 3,000 people and I love New York City. It's my favorite city on the East Coast. San Diego is my favorite city on the West Coast. Pass Christian, Mississippi (before Katrina) was my favorite city on the Gulf Coast. Why, I even find Camden, New Jersey and Gary, Indiana to be interesting places. I like the unique aspects of the various places I visit, even those places that are the polar opposite of where I grew up.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

bwahhahhahahahaaaa

try living in jersey!

nyc isnt for everyone. that is for sure. i go there maybe twice a year (im about 15 minutes away) and the one thing that is hard to wrap my head around is the overwhelming evidence of humanity.

its almost impossible to escape. short of locking yourself in a subterranean forgotten closet or something.

this facinates me because i will be moving to elko, nevada in about 18-24 months and im wondering what it will be like at the other end of the spectrum.

of course going camping and other places off the beaten path over the years has shown me glimpses of that kind of solitude but i dont think it can be compared to what i assume it will be like out west.

been out west very briefly through the northern states into spokane but havent been to wyoming, colorado, utah, nevadah, arizona, new mexico, california or anything like that.

ill be visiting elko a few times before i move and i cant wait.

i look forward to your video footage
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Reflecting on this, I've realized that my biggest trauma came from DRIVING in NYC... Queens, Brooklyn et al. I think my perspective would be different had I been a pedestrian/cab visitor. Driving was more like trying to dodge real life bullets. You see, I know that if I go to London, I gotta drive on the left or die. In NYC, the driving is from the country-of-origin... you from Uzbekistan, Italy, Central America, or, well, even Mississippi, you just keep your same habits... F the dang rules/insurance/common human decency parameters. I really don't mean to step on toes of them that love it there, but it just is not my cup of tea. Seems like a hole in the ground with 9 or 10 million folks trying to get out all at once. I'm prolly too old to learn the "rules" of the road there.

That and the fact that we just spent five figures on the interior of the van and are only halfway done meant I had an overprotective viewpoint. But really, I saw cars go by that nobody was driving... folks just letting whatever happens, well, happen.

Before we topped the last rise where you could see down in to the city, I said to Christine ( a NYC veteran) "Cain't be so bad, I've lived and driven in New Orleans, Houston, and buckwild Memphis, Tennessee, so this can't be too bad" She just fell out laughing at my dumb@ss.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #9

@ Macmcintire... spooky, the client that I was delivering to in NYC also has one of my beds in his Pass Christian (post Katrina rebuilt) house. I delivered it there in 2009, not a hint of traffic.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #10

Hey Marc,

Welcome home (and back to the forum) I hope the rest of your trip was really enjoyable to help make up for you NYC part of you North East trip.

Sorry you didnt like NYC. I grew up in in a little town in upstate NY with only about 1,500 people and NYC was only four hours away. I used to go there at least three or more times a year for all kinds of things, food, shopping, music, theater, car and boat shows even training for work was sometimes near there or in New Jersey. With that said it can be a shirt show (please feel free remove the "r" if you want) and more than one of my friends or co workers have said they will never ever go there again.

I have to share a story of one of the times I went down there in my old van with a buddy to see some girls we knew that lived on Long Island. We were in the city in one of those traffic jams like you were in and the van was getting hot so we opened the hood a little bit and put a beer can (I mean a soda can or other liquid refreshment container) between the latch and the radiator support. A kid came by with a wagon with some parts and some tools and ask us if we needed any parts or help with the van like a battery or something becasue he could get anything we needed while we were there stuck in traffic. We were stopped so long I needed to go to the bathroom and so I walked over to side of the road and the kid was removing the rear hup caps off a car. The owner of the car had his hood up as well and was looking under it for some reason. The guy looked up and yelled at the kid "hey what are you doing back there?" The kid calmly yelled back "hey man take anything you want under the hood all I want in these hubcaps"

On that trip I saw cars stripped and burning on the side of the road and all kinds of things, and I thought I would never go back. Well I still ended up going back many times, although never with my van ever again. That like many places isn't for everyone thats for sure.

I lived in Atlanta before moving out here and I think that parts of Atlanta, San Francisco, San Jose and the Oakland area are worse than NYC was before they cleaned it up. But thats just me, my old Atlanta co workers think Atlanta is great and hate NYC too.

At any rate Suzann told me to tell you to tell Christine please don't stop making movies. As you know WE LOVE YOUR TAYLOR ARTS MOVIES. We watch them over and over again. They are such great feel good type movies. They make me miss my little town in NY. Thanks again for making them for us all to enjoy.

Jamie and Suzann
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote