Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jamnjim
Landscape trailer

This seems like the right area to post this tale. I picked up a 2006 Quigley van a few months back and am doing a home build- going slow but will post pics when complete. Anyway, decided to haul some landscape debris to the transfer station (dump) on a Saturday. I hooked up the trailer- chains, lights, etc- to the Quig and headed out. Keep in mind all kinds of people use my trailer in the neighborhood, its kind of beat up but serves its purpose. I have not checked the operation of the trailer lights in quite some time but do a brake and turn signal check occasionally. Well, I passed two CHP officers parked in a vacant lot on the way there and did not think much about it but one of them followed me and found that when I turned into the roadway leading to the 'dump' my signal did not work on the trailer. Of course he pulled me over. I did not have the trailer registration on me, it was in our motorhome, so he ran the VIN taken from the tongue of the trailer and came up with another person owning the trailer. I was pretty much in shock as I bought the trailer brand new, put the wood sides on it, etc. By this time I had the attention of two officers and they asked for the keys of my van- I guess I looked like I was going to make a big escape in my several thousand pound van and a landscape trailer full of debris! After a lot of back and forth they called the trailer place where I bought the trailer and fortunately he had record that I did indeed purchase the trailer in '01. They wrote me up fixit tickets for the light and the registration as they were assuming DMV had it entered wrong and I needed to get it straightened out. One of the officers said I was this close (thumb and forefinger together with only a small gap) to getting hauled in and that the trailer place saves my bacon! I also had texted my wife that things were not looking good and to start putting ads up to sell the house so she could bail me out. All in all the officers were good, they were nice enough to call the trailer place when they could have just hauled me in.
So I get home and after a long investigation of our paperwork it turned out that we had given the folks who had purchased an enclosed trailer from us around '02 the wrong title- same brand, etc, just enclosed. So now I am working with DMV to get in contact with those people so we can trade titles, basically but it is going to take awhile. Funny thing was, I called the trailer place where I had purchased the landscape trailer to thank them for saving my butt from being hauled in and to get any docs he had showing I owned the trailer and he said " I don't have any documentation other than a handwritten line in my tablet of your name, type of trailer and the VIN." One line in a notebook. He said after a few years because of the amount of trailers he sells, he discards the paperwork otherwise he would have boxes and boxes of stuff. He just keeps a personalized account of his sales, that is it. Whew! Thank goodness! Lesson: check those darn numbers on the paperwork to see if they match the vehicles/toys in my possession.
Anyway, thought I would share my trailer story. I have another one about towing a boat to Havasu but will save that for another time.

jamnjim is offline   Reply With Quote