Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Living well on $11,000 per year

I'd like to see his definition of expenses too.

It wasn't clear to me, but it seems like he's in Calif, where his RV registration and insurance wouldn't exactly be a bargain either.

Herb

Old 10-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #12

The way I read it, he had minimized his spending with the goal of setting himself up for long term financial stability, if not independence. I'm not sure that $11,000 per year would cut it for me, but we could probably get by on a lot less than we spend today (which fortunately is a lot less than our income).

As we cruise along with a 3 week old, a 3 year old, a house full of stuff, and a bigger, better house (with a bigger, worse mortgage) under construction, it is definitely another path to consider. I don't know if I could full-time it in an RV or a van, but the goal of simplification is something I aspire to. Can't say I'm doing a very good job of accomplishing it, though!

Anyway, it sparks some lively discussion, and hopefully doesn't stir up too many hornets.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
...He claims to live on $11K a year. I'm pretty sure that he's earning more than that.
He's saving, investing and he's self employed. That leaves a lot open to interpretation.
That is how i read it also. Which is basically what my wife and i've attempted for several years. We live well within our means by living simply and sock the rest away for a sunny day (since nearly every day is a rainy one here in Oregon!). Fortunately for she and i we enjoy small, cozy places. That seems to cut down somewhat on living expenses : )
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

I've always thought the most difficult thing in life is balancing your current life versus the future one. I've known too many people who do not give a second thought to their future and are now in financial trouble, especially when they try to figure out how they will ever afford retirement (they won't). However, the flip side is also true. Many sacrifice their day to day lives (and potentially their relationships with their families) by working too much and saving every penny as they worry about their future and they never enjoy their day to day lives. Especially since you really have no idea if you will be around tomorrow or the next day.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #15

Living well on $11,000 per year

No mention of wife and kids. When I was single and trucking, I'd live for weeks and months on the road, I was/ am self employed and expensed everything but the clothes on my back.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
I've always thought the most difficult thing in life is balancing your current life versus the future one...
I agree, and I was hoping to find some profound answer by the end of the paragraph, but you left that part out!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #17

I was trying to decipher the $80 a year health insurance, having had a period of self-funded major medical ONLY several years ago (and it being a damn sight more expensive...) I read that it's a high deductible policy, and also apparently saved his bacon when he had appendicitis LAST YEAR.

So for a high deductible insurance to help in that manner, you have to have expenses greater than the deductible. Appendicitis apparently did that for him, which means he is out of pocket for the deductible, which means his expenses were NOT under $11,000 unless he's really living on something like half that. And if you didn't have the cash for the deductible? They're coming for your RV buddy!

He also says that he stays in one place to save on gas, I read that as a half truth- you have to move sometimes, unless you have property to squat on near a store. There is a limit to free 2wd boondocking and a lot of places have two week limits. Plus you can't not go to the store, no matter how much gas you want to save, grass-fed beef doesn't come to you.

I read this and I just think the same thing as when someone claims to get 22mpg in their 4x4 Van... sure you do.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #18

im doing it.

still working on the van and havent posted progress pics but i will. i dont have all of the gadgets and cabinets installed as i am waiting for a few things to arrive but i am close. i have most of it insulated and i did the fantastic fan already. so its basically a bedroom on wheels at this point. mattress, porta potti and suitcase. going on 30 days and its been great.

i have a good job and health insurance. plus a places to overnight park so as to avoid any hassles but also to not annoy anyone.

i find what i am doing incredibly liberating.

i dont miss paying $1500 a year for an apartment and utilities in northern jersey. not counting all of the things you do like entertain friends and whatnot. i could find a place for less, but it would be a sh!thole in a craptastic area. not much less either.

my expenses currently hover just under $800 for cell, mobile broadband, fuel, auto insurance, food, laundry, entertainment and most importantly, a gym membership. the gym membership is paying off big time since its blocks from work, im getting in shape almost daily and i can keep clean in the manner i was accustomed to.

after clearing a few debts by the end of the year, i will be saving and investing a huge portion of my salary. i plan to do this for about 2 years then get the hell out of new jersey. nevada is the plan but i have friends in canada and australia. who knows.

shortly, ill have savings for serious auto repairs (a must as its my daily driver and house) as well as extended stays at hotels if the need arises. this is all not counting on a number of family and friends who can put me up and offer me a meal should i choose.

im almost self reliant with the exception of my job. lose that and it might be tough but i will probably be better prepared. in a number of ways i am lucky.

i mentioned before how impressed i am with wvan's ability to document everything. i was enthusiastic to do so myself but found that i just kept plugging along at the project. i would like to post more photos and details of how i am approaching this soon.

this site has been very helpful
Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #19

Cygvan, Look forward to your notes on the simplicity living project.

We're working on something related -- full-timing out of an SMB while continuing our professional work. The Forum posts have been invaluable for both information and inspiration. Hopefully we'll be able to share equally useful information on our blog.

+1 on doubting the $80/year health insurance. Even for a high deductible plan, around $200-$300 per person is more likely.

Edit: I meant to say -- doubting $80/month. $200-$300 per month per person is more likely. Thanks for catching the typo.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #20

From the article:

"Do you have health insurance?
Yes. I'm self-employed so I purchase my own plan. I have a high-deductible plan and pay $80 per month."

Cygvan; I too am hoping to see the progress you make on the van. What you're doing sounds like what I'm thinking about for myself.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote