Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #21

I made a setup bearing for the larger inner one but was using the real bearing on the outside. I'm hoping that when I swap out for real inner bearing things don't change. This has definitely been a learning experience!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I also managed to mushroom the end of my pinion a bit because I'm an idiot. I can probably repair but how do you guys repeatedly "tap" out the pinion when you are going through the set up procedure?
Is your damage is to the threaded portion of the pinion? If that's the case I'd thread the nut onto the shank just a bit where the shank threads are not exposed and tap away. You could use a salvaged nut to keep the one you'll use intact. Even if using a plastic or covered dead blow hammer that's a "safer" way to tap on a threaded fastener.

The nut would act as its own chaser if needed.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #23

I used an air chisel with a ground-down pointy bit......works amazing....had to be careful not to shoot the pinion out of the pumpkin sometimes. I laid a rag in the housing to catch the pinion.

And I'd say you are right where you need to be...the patterns look "textbook" good.

...and the over shimmed pinion patterns look textbook for a pinion that's too deep...

I made an undersized setup race for the inner pinion bearing, and my old outer pinion bearing wasn't too tight on the shaft so I used this one till the final assembly.

Assuming that you are torquing the pinion nut to spec before reading patterns and setting backlash......?

How many times have you had the pinion out roughly?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Assuming that you are torquing the pinion nut to spec before reading patterns and setting backlash......?
Yep

Quote:
How many times have you had the pinion out roughly?
First time in without any shim (too shallow). Second time with shim from old pinion (pattern not bad but tried to improve). Third time in with too much shim. Fourth time in is where I am now (split the difference between second and third attempt).

Unfortunately I don't have a good working air chisel. My shop neighbor has one but it isn't working well at all. Not sure what's wrong with it as I had never used one before and didn't really dig into it. I'm going to chamfer the end of the pinion threads and get a new nut. Hopefully should be OK. Oh, and buy a dead blow plastic hammer. I really knew better than to do it the way I was but it worked two of the three times without damage so I kept going until it didn't. Luckily this is a learning project and not a critical project. I'll get back out tomorrow and hopefully button it up and start bolting the rest of the axle together.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Is your damage is to the threaded portion of the pinion? If that's the case I'd thread the nut onto the shank just a bit where the shank threads are not exposed and tap away. You could use a salvaged nut to keep the one you'll use intact. Even if using a plastic or covered dead blow hammer that's a "safer" way to tap on a threaded fastener.

The nut would act as its own chaser if needed.
Yep. I lightly filed what looked damaged but I think it is a bit mushroomed that I can't see with my eye. All the things you recommend make perfect sense. Next time ....

Old 01-17-2022, 05:30 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Yep. I lightly filed what looked damaged but I think it is a bit mushroomed that I can't see with my eye. All the things you recommend make perfect sense. Next time ....
Well I hope my idea works----would hate to see a new pinion needed due a common mistake.

I came to that idea in my daily job installing windshields in big trucks---some require the wiper arms to be removed. Wiper arms that are basically bolted to the drive mechanism occasionally require a special built puller where the pusher bit rests against the end of the shaft. The shafts are soft enough they'll deform making re-threading the attaching nut difficult.

For me simply leaving the nut in place after its almost off the shaft and then using the puller makes for an easy replacement.

Anyway hope that mushroom is easily corrected.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #27

Figured I'd close out this chapter of my non-van project. Axle is all together and I stuffed it under the front of Chuck (CHeap trUCK) a couple days ago. Thanks to those of you that gave guidance on setting up the ring / pinion! Now that I've done it I'm no longer intimidated by the process (although it really isn't that much fun). Lots of work to still do on the steering side of the equation to be done with the front end, but I'm getting there.

I thought you might get a chuckle in what I found when I cleaned out the bed of the truck when I was looking for some miscellaneous hardware I was hoping had been thrown back there. Why bother routing the gas fill line into the actual hole in the side of the truck bed when you can cut a hole in the bed, route the gas fill line there and fill in the rest of the hole with a handicap sign. It gave me a good laugh and maybe a little cry ....

Every bit of this truck is a project but is a good time filler when I'm not traveling or working on the van. It's funny that I have absolutely no end game for it. It's just a project.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220128_183423554.jpg   PXL_20220128_185144514.jpg   PXL_20220128_230619779.jpg   PXL_20220128_230627901.jpg   PXL_20220128_230646453.jpg  

PXL_20220128_230713767.jpg  

Old 01-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #28

Nice! I love the fuel fill solution

I kick myself for not starting my squarebody collection sooner... I found this 34k mile barn find a few years ago for a fair price.

Trying to find a '76-'80 K5 now but it's hard to find the right combination of cost vs rustiness.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Nice! I love the fuel fill solution

I kick myself for not starting my squarebody collection sooner... I found this 34k mile barn find a few years ago for a fair price.

Trying to find a '76-'80 K5 now but it's hard to find the right combination of cost vs rustiness.
That looks in good condition! You want mine? It will be low cost with plenty of rust!