Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

Low Class=No Class

Well my friends.....thought Id take the 94 SMB out to Silver Strand State beach just south off the tip of Coronado Island San Diego on the weekend of 10/19 and 20th. This disgusting little disquise of a campground is nothing more than a parking lot on the sand sorrounded by condominiums with four wheels attatched. As I pull in proudly with my SMB..... up the double barrel nostrills is pretty much all I witnessed on the faces of high class folluten campers with vulger displays of wealth. Its not the rigs that bug me. Its the attitude. I got more people who looked down on me for pulling in next to there tour busses that they thought I was infesting a rare form of S.A.R.S. There wre in fact some beautiful steel horses out there. But isnt that the problem so far!? As I type this little blog to share my side of things, not once have I yet mentioned that the ocean, seagulls, waves, smell of salt, blue sky, was really a fabrication of my being! I was literally in a box, with no view, and no audible connection to the water. I could only hear the road behind me. We pitched a tent for the kids, blew up an air mattress to keep the cushy, and unrolled the bags. Popped the top of my sportsmobile....( its always fun to see bystanders faces when the SMB blows its cork and started to cook dinner. The campground police came by to sternly enforce the " NO TENT CAMPING ALLOWED" rules.....ok, not a problem. we'll break down the poles and just use it for outside storage? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! we were truly the scumb. We rolled up the tent, deflated the air mattress, and cooked an awesome meal, played some board games and called it a nite. We all slept in the SMB comfortably. The next morning we requested another site and got lucky enough to grab a closer view of pacific blue and the sounds of the waves to boot. The days was a blessing. A morning swim in 62degree h20, hot dogs, marshmellow smores in the fire pit...... and a fiery display of gods striking glory pierced through the clouds. Awe, now this is camping. I barely pulled out the next morning without a wave and thought about my SMB buddies and how we seek the off-beaten path. Away from the grind and presures of conformity. Away from: who has what, and the size of their rig is in direct porportions to there....... well, you know. I came home that day to heavy Santa Anna winds only to have my town of Ramona in a mandatory evacuation. Yes another brush fire. I thought, this low class LAFD firefighter will stick it out and save a few homes if I dare. If my home is razed, my 94 SMB will give me shelter. I drove it in and with the fire engines that nite and dug in with the unsung heroes. I dig my rig. I'm proud to be connected to a subculture of wacko low class/no class misfits. Youre awesome people who inspire me to do it different. You have more creativity and class than the mainstream RVers out there. Youre just cool people. Thank you for letting me be a part of your "off the beaten path" world. Curtis

4:10 detroit locker
6 inch lift,
man. pop top
Trojans, nerf bars, Tire rack
Yakima surf racks,
Very Very cool looking van
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #2

Great post Craig. I've been a tent camper all my life. In fact, this past weekend was the first time I've ever been "camping" and I didn't sleep in one of 3 places: outdoors, in a tent, or in the back of my truck. However, I still have the minimalist approach to spending time in the outdoors. Sure, the furnace and fridge are fantastic luxuries, but I still love the feeling of screens and canvas/vinyl next to me. We just now have a much easier time of setting up/breaking down our site along with a much more comfortable shelter for when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

I know one of these days I will end up spending time in a RV style campground. I just hope I'm either oblivious to the attitude you experienced or I'm in a spot where it is not displayed.

Stay safe and all my thoughts go out to you and the rest of those evacuated so far.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #3

Re: Low Class=No Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis
Well my friends.....thought Id take the 94 SMB out to Silver Strand State beach just south off the tip of Coronado Island San Diego on the weekend of 10/19 and 20th. This disgusting little disquise of a campground is nothing more than a parking lot on the sand sorrounded by condominiums with four wheels attatched. As I pull in proudly with my SMB..... up the double barrel nostrills is pretty much all I witnessed on the faces of high class folluten campers with vulger displays of wealth. Its not the rigs that bug me. Its the attitude. I got more people who looked down on me for pulling in next to there tour busses that they thought I was infesting a rare form of S.A.R.S. There wre in fact some beautiful steel horses out there. But isnt that the problem so far!? As I type this little blog to share my side of things, not once have I yet mentioned that the ocean, seagulls, waves, smell of salt, blue sky, was really a fabrication of my being! I was literally in a box, with no view, and no audible connection to the water. I could only hear the road behind me. We pitched a tent for the kids, blew up an air mattress to keep the cushy, and unrolled the bags. Popped the top of my sportsmobile....( its always fun to see bystanders faces when the SMB blows its cork and started to cook dinner. The campground police came by to sternly enforce the " NO TENT CAMPING ALLOWED" rules.....ok, not a problem. we'll break down the poles and just use it for outside storage? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! we were truly the scumb. We rolled up the tent, deflated the air mattress, and cooked an awesome meal, played some board games and called it a nite. We all slept in the SMB comfortably. The next morning we requested another site and got lucky enough to grab a closer view of pacific blue and the sounds of the waves to boot. The days was a blessing. A morning swim in 62degree h20, hot dogs, marshmellow smores in the fire pit...... and a fiery display of gods striking glory pierced through the clouds. Awe, now this is camping. I barely pulled out the next morning without a wave and thought about my SMB buddies and how we seek the off-beaten path. Away from the grind and presures of conformity. Away from: who has what, and the size of their rig is in direct porportions to there....... well, you know. I came home that day to heavy Santa Anna winds only to have my town of Ramona in a mandatory evacuation. Yes another brush fire. I thought, this low class LAFD firefighter will stick it out and save a few homes if I dare. If my home is razed, my 94 SMB will give me shelter. I drove it in and with the fire engines that nite and dug in with the unsung heroes. I dig my rig. I'm proud to be connected to a subculture of wacko low class/no class misfits. Youre awesome people who inspire me to do it different. You have more creativity and class than the mainstream RVers out there. Youre just cool people. Thank you for letting me be a part of your "off the beaten path" world. Curtis

I know what you mean. The rest of the world has "normal" very well covered, so that leaves me free to focus on other things. Odd thing is that there is often a very solid logic and reason based case for being "different" (e.g., owning an SMB versus a $100k+ RV rig), yet the crowd moves in another direction. All I need is more time to get "off the beaten path!"
Rob
Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #4

Curtis...do you have any shots of the campground? Did you surf? Was there less attitude once you moved to the new spot?
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #5

You should have strapped the tent to the side of the van and said it was your awning/screen room

Best of luck fighting those fires

Your fellow wacko low class/no class misfit,

Jeff
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Best of luck fighting those fires
+1

Stay safe out there!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #7

Too close for comfort

My house had 25-30 foot flames pressing against my oodsided home.It was truly hairy But it fared well. I wish I could say the same for others. thank you for your kind words and support. Were haning on. My SMB has been reliable even in the dense smoke. Driving over fallen tree branches, and not bogging down in the embers. I wish I could do a commercial. Thanks you guys! You rock!
4:10 detroit locker
6 inch lift,
man. pop top
Trojans, nerf bars, Tire rack
Yakima surf racks,
Very Very cool looking van
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #8

Curtis - really happy to hear you are staying safe and that your property is ok so far. It's really hard to for anyone who hasn't been through this to remotely comprehend what is going on in San Diego. I live in a very safe area in regards to fires, however, I have many friends who aren't so lucky. I hope your good fortune continues and keep us up to date.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough
Curtis – First of all, it’s nice to hear that your SMB provided refuge and helped in your efforts to protect. My thoughts go out to those who lost everything. I can relate…

I was around a different crowd tailgating Saturday, and had an opposite reception. I’ve never been one for attention, but I do get a kick out of the comments. I think we’d all agree that the SMB mobility is well worth the amenity/luxury tradeoff of the bigger rigs. It was nice to bring the SMB to the party under the oaks rather than being confined to the asphalt RV parking lot. To me, it is the ultimate tailgate in addition to the best way to go remote.