Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Moab Area Ranger Shot; Suspect at Large

This is sad. A ranger patrolling the Poison Spider Mesa Trail near Moab was shot multiple times Friday night. The suspect, wounded in return fire, is at large on foot. A massive manhunt is in progress.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/20/uta ... tml?hpt=T1

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Re: Moab Area Ranger Shot; Suspect at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
This is sad. A ranger patrolling the Poison Spider Mesa Trail near Moab was shot multiple times Friday night. The suspect, wounded in return fire, is at large on foot. A massive manhunt is in progress.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/20/uta ... tml?hpt=T1
Glad the ranger survived.

Fugitives who have shot LEOs often end up in a body bag at the end of the manhunt.
R
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
This is sad.
Yes, and just plain wrong. Sounds like the ranger will survive, fortunately. Reports indicate the suspect is wounded and in an area with a lot of places to hide. Purely speculating, but sounds like it could be dangerous for those looking for him. With Moab daytime highs in the 40's and nightly lows in the 20's and getting colder as the week progresses, seems likely that efforts would center on containing him and letting the weather drive him out or take its natural course.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Remember those guys who tried to hijack a tank truck in, where was it, Monticello, UT, back a bunch of years? I'm on the East Coast, but always notice news from the canyon country cause I like to camp there in remote places and this made me think twice about being alone in the back country. Remember, I'm from NYC and it's impossible to own a firearm here, so I don't really have self-defense.

Anyway, there were three armed and dangerous guys out there. They sent out rangers, troopers and even Navajo trackers. I believe they found one pretty quickly, or his body, at least. I then lost track of the story, but a few years later, I read that they had found the remains of another. I then got curious a year or two later and googled around and saw that they had, indeed, found the remains of the third guy.

The lesson? You have to really have some skills, and maybe even some help and luck if you want to survive in the wild out there. I think the forest of the northeast might be a bit more forgiving, although that would be no picnic, either.

Anyway, I hope they get this guy.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough

I thought of that too. Here's the story: http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com ... berts-text
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Site Team

This is from an article I read yesterday in Backpacker magazine. It was news to me.

Quote:
A nation park ranger is more likely to be assulted in the line of duty than any other federal offiicer, including those who work for the U.S. Bureau of ATF, the Secret Service and the DEA. Adding fatal accidents, a park ranger is up to 12 times more likely to die on the job than a special agent for the FBI.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
It was news to me.
I was surprised at the level of readily accessible armament carried by the officers in Yellowstone back when we first went in 2005. It's when I discovered our parks are used for way more than recreation...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF7151.JPG  
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
I thought of that too. Here's the story: http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com ... berts-text
Man that was a good read.

Glad the ranger is OK in this latest situation.

I've know a couple of Yosemite rangers. Some of the stories are unreal. I was told one of the worst days is Super Bowl day. They throw more in jail that day than any. You wouldn't think so because most of the park is closed. They called it national wife beating day. I've had a couple of run in's with the D&D...ruined my trip. That's why I like the backcountry but your BP goes up when you have some guys walk into your camp out in the middle of nowhere totin weapons .

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
it was a good read, but toward the end, the writer seemed to romanticize the situation too much for my taste. It's not a treasure hunt, it's a story about couple of losers with no grasp of reality murdering innocent people.

Just like people who think it's cool to be related to people like Jesse James (mid 1800's). Why on earth would you brag about being related to a bank robber/train robber/murderer?

Herb
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

He led me to believe they were gonna find the hideout and more info on the bad guys. Even though he was making a comparison to the wild west, it's people who make heros out of scum and only twisted people would think those guys were heros. BTW, isn't that some kind of a sandwich?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote