Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Monterey

I was told their back and it is something to see if you never have:
Pacific Grove

Its been several years since I last saw this but I was astounded when I was caught in a swarm of em but other than a photo op, usually they just bunch in trees. They were so thick the one year that I had to drive really slow, both to see on coming traffic but also to keep my radiator from clogging up You also have to watch out for the nuts that don't want you to kill them by driving so fast. They will stand right on the highway with slow signs...almost hit one of those...er...concerned citizens.

I figure it's one more reason to go to the coast though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8Y0 ... =endscreen

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Monterey

thats pretty cool. wouldnt mind seeing that happen. you have any pix from when you saw the migration?

ive seen swams of bees...super fun. other than that, only migration ive ever really seen other than deer/elk is mormon crickets. they are huge and they go right through our area. they go right through or over whatever is in thier path. was wakeboarding one year at the lake and when you cut in hard, you could see them in the wave. up on the hill they are so thick that the road starts getting greasy where they cross. kinda gross. when we mt bike and they are migrating, it sounds like popcorn when you run over'em (impossible not to do).
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Monterey

We were at the Oregon coast one summer and saw them. Very impressive site. Also a great photo op.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

The pictures I have would be on slides or film negatives but where they are would be the question. That was back in the early 70's.

Yeah they moved like a swarm of bees but more like a bunch of leaves fluttering. I worked a couple of years with bees when I was a kid and bees are more annoying and you can't piss em off. Don't drop the tray! The weird migration we have from time to time is grasshoppers, crickets (little black ones) and mini toads. I didn’t want to even drive slowly through any of those…give me the butterflies

The last time I saw the butterfly migration they were corralled in the trees in big bunches and I never saw a swarm. Very colorful though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Garage

that actually sounds pretty cool honestly. id like to witness a "swarm" of butterflies.

ive been in a couple bee swarms. first time i was working on a car. kept seeing bees in my car. shooed'em out but after 4-5 i was like wtf? stood up out of the car and looked around and the sky was turning black. i ran inside and watched them move in.was pretty crazy. the other time they started moving in to my yard when i was home on a lunch break right above my car. called my boss and told him i was gonna be late and why, he bs. i said really, come by and get me then (he was right around the corner). he showed to pick me up and just laughed. he thought i was fillin him full of crap so i ddint have to come back to work.

the mormon crickets are huge. they look like little toads...and move like them too, lol. id be stoked to see a toad migration. i love reptiles and amphibians.

i hear tale of the salmon from old timers in this area. sounds amazing, but was gone before i could appreciate it. we have a fish observatory a few hours from me and ive seen the fish in small numbers. some of them suckers were 3 feet long and stuck a few inches out of the water. pretty amazing. i couldnt imagine them so thick you couldnt see the creek/river bottoms like these stories i hear.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

About 30 years ago I went down to Monterey to see the Monarchs. Really worth the trip.

The amazing thing is these butterflies are many (6?) generations removed from the last ones that were in the same trees.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #7

The monarch butterflies also layover in Ardenwood Regional Park here in the Bay Area about a mile from our house. (My wife and I were very active in a group that built a horse-drawn narrow gauge railroad in the park back in the 1980s.) There is a large grove of eucalyptus trees in the park and the butterflies roast in the trees at night and until the temperature warms up in the morning. Here is a link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pussreb.../pool-ebparks/

to a poor photo of the monarch butterflies hanging from the eucalyptus leaves...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

Monterey must be pretty hot if the butterflies "roast" in the trees. Don't you just haight those auto spellcheck programs
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Mmmm...roasted Monarchs with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

Herb
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Must be from SoCal to drink Chianti with roasted butterflies. EVERYBODY knows that the only way to enjoy the little buggers is with a nice Pinot...... Now, those Mormon crickets might pair acceptably with a Chianti- No, wait!, No alcohol with the Mormon crickets; maybe a non- alky brew.....
Bill