Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

N00b!!

Hey guys, n00b here.

Have been lurking for a while, but finally joined up.

I've been in the market for some type of camper/Rv for a while, but never could decide exactly what I wanted. Almost pulled the trigger on a truck/slide in camper deal, but wanted the convience of rolling out of the drivers seat, right into the living room. Looked at several motor homes, but geeze, all of them were way too big for my intended use.

Then I came across you guys!!

Just what the doctor ordered, now I'm pouring over the classifieds, CL, e-bay, looking for the right candidate for the conversion.

I hunt and fish often, so most of the time it will only be me in it, sometimes me and a buddy, and a dog. I dont need much room, just a warm bed, a coffee in the AM, and a semi warm place to use the port-a-potty (after the coffee). Maybe a trip or two a year with the family, (wife, two, count 'em, two girls), but they really don't get the "adventure" thing, so again most times just me, and the dog in the winter, and the boat, or the bike in the summer.

I love the Sprinter, need the headroom (I'm 6'5"), but I'm hooked on the look (and utility) of the 4x4's. So I'm thinking 250, 4x4, tow package, Penthouse, (BTW can you mount a rooftop A/C on the PH??), etc. Gas! I cut my wrenching teeth in the late seventies on GM's dreadful 5.7 "conversion" diesel, and have a deep seated aversion to 'em. So...

If any of 'ya come across a smokin' deal on something along these lines, please holler at me with a heads up. If ya'll care to offer up any advice (although I've learned much just from lurking for the last couple of weeks) I'd be glad to take it.

Great site, seems like great people, hope to meet some of you on the road, either in my SMB, or on my bike (VStrom, got 39 states so far, hope to get at least the rest of the lower 48 next summer).

I'll be looking for ya.

Walt

DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: N00b!!

Welcome Walt!

Regarding the Roof Top AC on the PH. No, SMB will not install a roof top AC on their PH. They won't even install a roof fan on our build because of the ridges on the PH. Also the PH is already quite heavy, with a roof AC, it may be close to impossible to lift up. Good luck with your search.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #3

Welcome

Hey like the user-name
Anything to do with:

Happy browsing...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

If you like the Sprinters have you considered a fixed top? I would think 6.5" with a desire to go from the driver's seat to the cabin, something like standing up without having to pop the top might be the ticket.