Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

new around here

So I've had a Quigley E350 7.3 for a 6 or so years, and recently happened upon a junkyard sportsmobile top.. it's partially installed now, just got new fabric from SMB (the old was a little singed and melted from the engine fire).

I've got the hole cut and top installed, just need to do the fabric next, and realized I didn't take good measurements of where the old fabric was screwed down.

Anyone in San Francisco with penthouse top on a Ford RB that is willing to let me take some measurements? If not I'm sure I'll figure it out.. how hard could it be?
Attached Thumbnails
2-19-2013 1-24-52 PM.png  

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Re: new around here

Hopefully you haven't totally scrapped the old canvas yet. You should be able to measure the wood strips that are stapled on to the canvas to get the measurements needed to cut new ones for your new canvas.

Also, will you be able to remove and replace the upper canvas connection with the fiberglass top on? You may need to remove it and flip it upside down.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the replacement canvas cost?

Nice score on the top! Those don't come around too often.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

I'm in the bay area but have a high top, what yard has the wreck van?

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Hopefully you haven't totally scrapped the old canvas yet. You should be able to measure the wood strips that are stapled on to the canvas to get the measurements needed to cut new ones for your new canvas.

Also, will you be able to remove and replace the upper canvas connection with the fiberglass top on? You may need to remove it and flip it upside down.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the replacement canvas cost?

Nice score on the top! Those don't come around too often.
No, didn't save the old plywood, and neglected to measure before tossing it. There's my problem.

And yes, I'll need to remove top again to more easily install the new canvas.

SMB didn't want to sell me the canvas, would only do a full replacement install for $2185. But then when if called up to schedule that , told me they wouldn't install on a top they hadn't installed, but would sell me the fabric for $801. So much cheaper for me, but had I known I'd be installing it I would have taken more measurements!!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogdave
I'm in the bay area but have a high top, what yard has the wreck van?

Dave
Chico. But nothing left after I (and whoever got there before me) was done but some burned and broken cabinets and the 4x4 axle/transfer/diff. Inside picked clean. I got swivel seat mounts, fridge, heater, pop top, 12v fuse block, 120v circuit breaker, outside electrical connection, outside plumbing connections, all for $240. Score!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #6

new around here

Hi;

The $801 for fabric you quote was for a fully cut and assembled canvas top or just for the fabric with you having to cut and sew it all together?

I can't even buy the material for half that price so I think the price, if only installation is required, is very fair.

Please clear this up before I install my old canvas!!!

Thank you.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
Hi;

The $801 for fabric you quote was for a fully cut and assembled canvas top or just for the fabric with you having to cut and sew it all together?

I can't even buy the material for half that price so I think the price, if only installation is required, is very fair.

Please clear this up before I install my old canvas!!!

Thank you.

Regards,

Gavin
Fully built canvas. Agreed, the price is good!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
I got swivel seat mounts, fridge, heater, pop top, 12v fuse block, 120v circuit breaker, outside electrical connection, outside plumbing connections, all for $240. Score!
Wow - that is awesome! I can't quite tell from the pic, but are your van and the top both silver too?

Hopefully you can measure the creases on the old top. Once you get the new canvas, you'll have to see if it is cut to the exact size or if it is made to trim a little once fastened down.

If someone measured the outside tent width at the base, front and rear, I think you'd have some pretty good numbers to start with. I've got the pre-'92 generation top, so I may be giving misinformation if I measured mine.

Good luck with the canvas install!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Wow - that is awesome! I can't quite tell from the pic, but are your van and the top both silver too?

Hopefully you can measure the creases on the old top. Once you get the new canvas, you'll have to see if it is cut to the exact size or if it is made to trim a little once fastened down.

If someone measured the outside tent width at the base, front and rear, I think you'd have some pretty good numbers to start with. I've got the pre-'92 generation top, so I may be giving misinformation if I measured mine.

Good luck with the canvas install!
No, the top was gold it my cheap painter has since sprayed it silver for $100.

Yes, if someone else was willing to take some measurements and pics that would help too!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam

Chico. But nothing left after I (and whoever got there before me) was done but some burned and broken cabinets and the 4x4 axle/transfer/diff. Inside picked clean. I got swivel seat mounts, fridge, heater, pop top, 12v fuse block, 120v circuit breaker, outside electrical connection, outside plumbing connections, all for $240. Score!

Chico? My old stomping grounds (1963-1986). Spent 20 years of my youth hanging out in the upper park. For those of you who aren't familiar with Chico they have/had the 3rd largest city park in the nation. I left quite a few brain cells in Bidwell Park in the early 70's.

Welcome aboard. It's going to be fun watching and reading about the transformation of the burnt canvas top. Keep the pictures coming.

I may be riding my motorcyle through Chico during an upcoming 3 week vacation in April/May. If I do the first couple rounds are on me at Sierra Nevada.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote