Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Ignoring what's happening above, that seems like 'we don't really want to build these, but if we do, we need to make it worth our while' pricing. But the backlog says otherwise.

I still just can't get over the fact that they had the chance to redesign an entirely custom body and just...recreated an EB with a slightly larger interior, presumably to just re-use their existing interior designs. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.
Curious what you would have done different in terms of body design. Other than going with the B+ style, what else would be desirable in these types of rigs?

Old 10-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #32

I can't answer for B.rock but I do agree with him. I've always been puzzled about this. I can't tell you how I would do it differently but I definitely would do it differently. Just seems like a more square box with straighter walls would make more sense, but, Ford already did that (Transit), as did Dodge (Promaster) and Benz (Sprinter). I know the older body on frame argument of course and there are other reasons an E series works for so many.

Also, I'm sure a huge part of SMB's decision to clone an E series had to do with them having the top molds and the rest of the cabinetry and interior bits, measurements, 4wd system, workers with years of experience with this model, etc. etc.

It's just always puzzled me that they took years to bring out a fiberglass copy of an E series.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #33

Garage
Well, for that much money, they should probably make it look like the van in Mr. 86Scotty's profile photo.
MTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #34

In business it is called "price point". It is simply what people are willing to pay for a product.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #35

Like 86Scotty said - squarer walls. Even potentially something like a full size Tiger Astro but with solid axles or mini earth roamer. Shrink the rear overhang but optimize/improve interior space. But I get it, they got to reuse their pop top, interior bits, etc. and the fiberglass body does have its benefits.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Not something i would finance in todays world of unpredictable markets and hyperinflation.
Immediately before periods of inflation is exactly when you want to take on debt, dude. Inflation is good for debtors and bad for creditors. (It's also bad for anyone who was responsible and has saved money, has an IRA, etc., because all of that money loses value.)

To make an extreme example: Let's say you make $100,000 dollars a year, and you buy a house for $300,000. So, you owe 3x your annual income. Then, in the next year there is 200% inflation. Well, your income has tripled so now you make $300,000 a year... and still only owe $300,000 on the house (less whatever you have paid in the interim). So now you only owe 1x your annual income. Win!

The problem is that we are not actually in a period of hyperinflation. And during the period of hyperinflation interest rates also tend to skyrocket commensurately, so you have to take on the debt before that happens.
Acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Imagine what you could do with a nice used Van purchased for $50-70K, and dumping $80-100k into it...and still come out ahead with $50k left for fuel. Really like those new builds, but simply cheaper to keep what you have and enjoy the hell out of it!
That's basically what I'm in the process of doing right now, ha ha. Working on my build thread finally
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDave View Post
Well, for that much money, they should probably make it look like the van in Mr. 86Scotty's profile photo.

The world needs more Vanborghini's.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
That's basically what I'm in the process of doing right now, ha ha. Working on my build thread finally
Welcome @owlicks. I just read and commented on your thread on Expo. Glad you are here as well.

There is a combined 5000 years or so of Sportsmobile expertise on this site.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Welcome @owlicks. I just read and commented on your thread on Expo. Glad you are here as well.

There is a combined 5000 years or so of Sportsmobile expertise on this site.
Thank you!! How do I make a build thread here? In the Sportsmobile Showcase section? I don’t see a way to make a new post there
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote