Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

New pop-top van from Pleasure-Way

I just saw this online: Pleasure-Way is offering an updated version of their Traverse, built on a Promaster van body and now called the "Tofino." A basic Westy-style build and priced under $70k new. I think they'll find a good market for this.

https://pleasureway.com/tofino/
Attached Thumbnails
Tofino-sideXside.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

Wow. Retro, yet has all the modern amenities, even optional solar. I don't think anybody is doing 4x4 on Promasters yet, though.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

Any idea why they go pro master? Cost? Width? That’s the last van I would get given the other options, but coachbuilders seem to love it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
MSD

Garage
Why promaster... it’s an easy up fit. I built out this one in 5 days full build from cargo with zero windows. Two helpers total man hours 140. I’d only want one of these if it was an import aka Fiat Ducato hopefully they’ll get smart & bring it state side.
Attached Thumbnails
DC1D2D3C-5E91-4E1F-B65F-CFBF39B3C0E2.jpg  
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo View Post
Wow. Retro, yet has all the modern amenities, even optional solar. I don't think anybody is doing 4x4 on Promasters yet, though.
I think it would be very difficult and expensive to convert the front wheel drive Promaster to 4x4. To much hardware to modify and add.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #6

Retro Traverse

I saw this exact build at the annual Pomona RV show. Its their prototype. Reminded a lot of my 2003 Pleasureway Traverse. Same type of layout, modern components and roomier give the Ram Vans wider dimensions. The pop top is similar as the old school Traverse, yet the standing room does not extend all the back through the top. There is 3-4 feet of standing room with the top raised. The entire upper bunk platform is fixed at roof level and does not raise with the roof as in the old school vans. Either way I thought it was a cool, compact build. The way the plumbing is set and given the Ram Van platform the ground clearance is minimal.
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

That photo of it "on the beach" is one of the worst Photoshop jobs I've ever seen.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Any idea why they go pro master? Cost? Width? That’s the last van I would get given the other options, but coachbuilders seem to love it.
Looking inside the cargo only versions of Promaster's it would indeed be a very easy build out. The body is nearly cube-shaped but sadly its a unit body vehicle and even worse yet its from Chrysler/Fiat.

Could be the perfect chassis for a lighter duty camper/RV but 4x4 would be cost prohibitive not to mention probably an impossible engineering challenge too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #9

Not everyone wants/needs 4WD :-)

But regardless, the uber-low ground clearance has always turned me off to these. That solid rear axle is sooooo low to the ground!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
I don't know if the axle is really as low as it looks. I looked up the ground clearance for a stock Promaster and it was listed as 7.9 inches front and rear. That's about the same as a stock Econoline, and will get you up most roads that don't require 4WD.

Keep in mind there's no diff housing projecting below the axle like in a RWD van.