Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
off road travel

Watch out for the other guy:
Attached Thumbnails
jeep.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

Garage
Wow! The fact another captured that footage is unbelievable. Although the incident is very unfortunate, I think its equally amazing she survived. Definitely a video that motivates one to embrace "caution & safety".
Old 10-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Team

My wife showed me that video the other day. The story she heard off the TV segment was that the driver of the red Jeep stopped to help somebody else higher on the trail, and left his vehicle while his significant other and his dog remained in the Jeep. The Jeep started rolling and quickly went off the trail. At some point early on, his significant other and the dog were ejected. I don't know if any of this is actually true or not, but I would have to think the passenger was not belted in, otherwise the result could have been very different.

Id' be curious if the red Jeep was a manual transmission, and the driver relied on the parking brake to hold the Jeep in place. I wouldn't think an auto trans left in Park would have slipped out of gear.

Herb
Old 10-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #4

There are at least two threads on this on Expo with some more info,opinions, etc. You pretty much have it right though, Herb.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

I have seen the Park mechanism fail on and automatic transmission. It happened to my neighbors vehicle. There was a bang and the car rolled down this steep driveway, across the street, jumping both curbs, and into a brick building. Very spooky to watch.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
I have seen the Park mechanism fail on and automatic transmission. It happened to my neighbors vehicle. There was a bang and the car rolled down this steep driveway, across the street, jumping both curbs, and into a brick building. Very spooky to watch.

And then of course you have to make sure you actually put the vehicle in park.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Garage
^^^ yep. An ex gf’s mom made national news here back in the 90’s when she was in too big a hurry to buy smokes and didn’t get her truck into park. The truck ran her over, removed the corner of the building, and almost took out the gas pumps. An old truck with a high idle, a big motor with torque in reverse and unmanned has the ability to wreak some major destruction.

Crazy video though. Glad no one died.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
I do worried about rocks hitting my solar panels on trails like that but not a vehicle. I've seen wrecked rigs along the trail and always wonder how. I'm usually worried about a 6.0 sensor failing leaving me stranded more than a sheer cliff.

Always thought of this as a classic crash video.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #9

Garage
^^^ always wondered the back story to that vid. Dude was mobbing across the rocks, lol
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
It's been a long time, but if I remember right it was a combination of a stall and the transfer case slipping into neutral. Vehicles of that era would often stall on steep slopes due to the carburetor float not maintaining a correct fuel level, and with the engine stalled there's no power boost for the brakes.