Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

PANNING FOR GOLD

Ok so Im a dreamer but I can't think of a better way to spend time than hiking, fly fishing or panning for gold in a beautiful mountain stream. Anyone ever tried it? Any success?

I will be in Wyoming, Utah, and SW Colorado and I plan to try it just for kicks.

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

Re: PANNING FOR GOLD

We did some gold panning in Alaska - touristy kind of stuff, but he guaranteed you would find gold, and we all did. It was kinda fun and really not difficult to do. But, I think I'd get tired of it in an hour or so if I wasn't finding gold.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Garage

I spent some time years ago sluicing and panning for gold. Spent time around Mariposa, CA. Also did some dry mining aggregate in old shafts in the El Paso Mtns near Red Rock Cyn state park in CA. Never collected anything worth cashing in. It was sometimes fun, and sometimes a lot of hot hard work. Was nice sluicing a bit more north in the forests and the Yuba River. At least you can swim there!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

My buddy went from Indiana to California and panned for a week. Took out about enough to cover the gas, but he had a blast.

I tried it locally in Colorado and got a few flakes. 50˘ maybe. Very appealing idea but unfortunately way too labor intensive for myself.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Who knows, you might get lucky. I live just below the sierra foot hills and although I've never really found much, I have a couple friends who have claims as in mining claims registered with the state. Not even those guys pull much and before they put restrictions on the large scale type mining they didn't get much. Some have resorted to dry mining...bringing back diggings and panning it out at home. It does take a bit to know where and why gold lies where it does. A guy down the road from me is a retired engineer of Fisher detectors and claims that is the way to go. Still panning is kind of fun yet I'm with Jage, it's a lot of work.
BTW make sure you're not panning on someones claim...it really upsets them if they catch ya

Like I said, you might get lucky. I just got a big old nugget last week but it came by the way of a root canal. Told that dentist I wanted it back but I sure paid for it in pain Lucky me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

I've been panning and sluicing in my SMB in MT, WA, OR and CA.

I'm a GPAA member, and have a small portable sluice, as well as a Whites MXT detector.

Very very fine flakes in WA and northern OR. I'd like to explore California more and also Arizona to swing the detector.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote