Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #31

Re: Places You Have to Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
In Oakhurst not too far from Yosemite...provided you can afford it!

I've never been there but Erna's Elderberry House is supposed to be the best restaurants in the area. I wouldn't know how to act in a place like this.
http://www.elderberryhouse.com/cdsMain.html
It has excellent reviews and has a Mobil 5 star rating. Dave, Mobil is not to be confused with ExxonMobil

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo

Well, Jage, I had to hit Wall Drug on this trip. I spent the night in town.

Had dinner last night, prime rib, at The Chophouse in Gillette, WY. It wasn't bad. The best food so far was a fresh made breakfast sandwhich at The Pickle Barrel in Livingston, MT. Made my day.

-- sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #33

When we did the Great Northern trip (US-2 from Maine to Seattle - we did the Michigan UP to Seattle section) a few years back, one of the trip books we used recommended these places. AND they really were GREAT!

The Keg's Drive-In, Grand Forks, North Dakota (http://www.choppedonion.com/id169.html). The onion rings were out of this world!! Never have had better. All their food was way above average. Lunch crowd made it interesting to find a spot to park. Their SMALL parking lot would not take a van.

The second place that was really cool was Franks Diner in Spokane, WA. ( http://www.franksdiners.com/photos.htm), We were to late for their highly rated breakfasts but did make it for lunch. The food was worth the wait and if you do any kink of wood working you will be in heaven. Franks is made up in part of a 1909 presidential railroad care that has been put in better then new condition. Amazing.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #34

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo

I love Frank's. It's worth hitting if you're in the Spokane area.

I got to stop at The Iowa Machine Shed and really enjoyed it. I had the plowmans meatloaf, I think it was called. Crispy onion rings on top of mashed potatoes on top of killer meatloaf on top of french bread. All of it covered with gravy better than Mom makes. It almost put me in a coma. If I hadn't been behind schedule I would have gone to sleep in the parking lot after that meal. I can really recomend The Machine Shed.

I didn't get into Chicago for dogs or pizza. I did get to stop at Boz's in Morris, Illinois for some pretty official a Chicago dogs. I'm a better man for it.

I hit a Waffle House southeast of Cleveland. Not that great. I'm going to have to hit another when I get down south.

-- sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #35

Velogeo if you keep hitting great eats places like that, you are going to need new Deaver springs on the Sporty by the time you get back to the Northwest!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #36

This is a post about the places we ate at that stood out during our 5800 mile trip into Canada.
When we headed out on the trip we already had reservations at the "Cowboy Dinner Tree Steakhouse"http://cowboydinnertree.homestead.com/main.html just outside of Silver Lake, Oregon.
This has to be the best steakhouse I have eaten at. We went 300 miles out of our way to see what it's about after reading a post, here on the forum. It was well worth it.

The next place we really enjoyed eating at is the "Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant" http://www.elephantcastle.com/content/locations/seattle in Seattle, Washington. Very tasty food and prices are a little higher then an average pub. But well worth it.

While on Vancouver Island we had a great breakfast at the "Sand Bar Cafe" 6087 Island Hwy W
Qualicum Beach BC. Very friendly and very good food.

Early afternoon of day twelve as we traveled on Highway 24, we spotted a small sign "Capuchino" and it sounds good. So we turned onto the short road that led us to "Lac Des Roches Resort and Italian Restaurant" http://www.lacdesroches.com/. We went in and met Laura. Meeting Laura was like meeting a long lost friend. We spent about two hours visiting with her. Great hospitality, coffee and cake. I am sure anything you have there is great.

In our search every morning for small town bakery's. On the morning of day thirteen, brought us to "Flour Meadow Bakery & Cafe" http://www.flourmeadowbakery.com/ The cinnamon rolls were like small loaves of bread. Just great.

If you like cinnamon rolls that drip butter, cinnamon and sugar you have to stop at "Celestial Sweets" 823 Kettles Street, Pincher Creek, AB, Canada. Make sure you have plenty of napkins.

"The Whistle Stop Restaurant" 1024 Third Ave, East Glacier Park, Montana. Wonderful Baby Back Ribs. Great prices and very friendly.

We ate at many other restaurants and cafes. These are just the ones that really stood out to us.

Thanks for checking the post out.

Woody