Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Places You Have to Eat

I'm preparing for a road trip with my father-in-law. We'll be leaving Seattle next week or the one after. There are a few things left to do, but we're mostly ready to go. My attention is turning to my stomach. This isn't a leisure cruise. We'll be trying to make good time. I'd still like a good meal now and then. I wondering if there are any recommendations for places you have to eat at least once in your life or at least given the chance?

We'll be sticking to the interstate other than where we can avoid it and still make good time. We'll be pulling a trailer back to Seattle so easy parking would be nice. The planned route is east from Seattle via I-90 and I-94 to Cleveland (my hometown) then via 80 to Long Island. We'll turn around there, make a couple stops in eastern PA, then on to Denver via 70. The route from Denver to Seattle is still up in the air. I'm savoring the route planning and really looking forward to that part of the drive.

My father-in-law is a steak and potatoes kind of guy and a road food theme would be appropriate anyway. At this point I'm hoping to hit Superdog in Chicago and a steakhouse in Denver called Buckhorn's. I'd love to find a good BBQ place around St. Louis -- or anywhere else -- and a good cheese steak place in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area of PA. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Pete

Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

Okay, I'll bite.

Try The Shack in Missoula for a great breakfast or a good, cheap dinner. I'm partial to their hot chili omellettes in the morning, or their southwestern flank steak in the evening. Not fancy, but just good food.

For more red meat, try the Chop House in Livingston, Montana. A little yuppified, but still good.

For bizarre Northern Great Plains food, there's this diner in Glendive, Montana, on I-94 near the North Dakota border that serves deep fried chicken gizzards and cauliflower. For breakfast.

I have never heard of such a thing outside of the Deep South.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #3

I don't know about food, I'm all about the vegetarian but if you want to meet as you're coming thru Denver let me know!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I don't know about food, I'm all about the vegetarian but if you want to meet as you're coming thru Denver let me know!
Thanks, Jage. I was actually gonna PM you in a couple days and offer to possibly buy you a beer, or the like, when I'm in Denver. I still need to figure out how long we'll be there, when, and what family I have to see, etc.

I'm assuming you haven't been to Buckhorn's for their world famous Rocky Mountain Oysters, then?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
For bizarre Northern Great Plains food, there's this diner in Glendive, Montana, on I-94 near the North Dakota border that serves deep fried chicken gizzards and cauliflower. For breakfast.
That's what we're looking for. Don't think I can time it to make breakfast, though. Hopefully they serve the gizzards all day. Do you remember the name of the place, or is the town that small it doesn't mater?

It works, as well, for getting up to Rt. 2 and Minot, ND. Double plus good.

Thanks, Ed.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Have fun on your road trip to the East. I thought by law you have to have Gino's Pizza in Chicago?
I know. I love good pizza, but it comes down to timing. If we can get there early enough in the day and I can find a place to camp close by so I can take a long nap we'll be set. Otherwise I'll have to make do with really good "case meat."

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
Quote:
Thanks, Jage. I was actually gonna PM you in a couple days and offer to possibly buy you a beer, or the like, when I'm in Denver. I still need to figure out how long we'll be there, when, and what family I have to see, etc.

I'm assuming you haven't been to Buckhorn's for their world famous Rocky Mountain Oysters, then?
Count me in too if you end up coming through Denver. I have been meaning to get a hold of Jage since he moved here and now that we're thawing out a bit, the SMB should start seeing a whole lot more action.

As for food stops:

Chicago: Clark Dog or Superdog in Chicago, I'll second Gino's or any deep dish Chicago pie

Cleveland: There is a chain of burger drive-ins in Akron/south Cleveland called Swenson's. I would give a kidney for a sack of their "Galley Boy" double cheeseburgers on any given day!

Denver: Lots of choices depending on what you're in the mood for.

PA: Not sure about food but if you could bootleg me a few cases of Yuengling Lager, it would be much appreciated!

Omaha: Couple great restaurants in new "Old Town" area. If you have a small grill, find a butcher shop and treat yourself to a couple of the "Husker Chops". 1 1/2" think and some of the best I've had.

Hmmm. Suddenly I'm hungry. I wonder what's in the frig...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #8

Oh yes and not food related, but you must stop at Wall Drug. It's worth going out of your way if you're not already going to be on I-90.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh yes and not food related, but you must stop at Wall Drug. It's worth going out of your way if you're not already going to be on I-90.
I stopped there when I moved from Cleveland to Seattle. I may even still have a bumper sticker somewhere I could put on the van. It was definitely worth the stop.

We're going to go through North Dakota, though, to visit a friend of my father-in-laws. It's too bad. I was hoping to camp in, or at least drive through, the badlands.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #10

Garage
Looks like you'll be putting on a little weight during this trip!