Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

PNW Boat Works, a Bartender build.

Something I thought I would share, my other passion wood and boats.

Lots of projects going on but lots of things getting accomplished.
Working on a solid Sapele table, 24x12 turning out really nice with free floating tenon joints. Tomorrow I should be able to mount the top, sand and finish. I am not sure on what finish I'll be using. I love the beauty of Sapele so something clear, poly or varnish. I'll post pictures of this little gem. Something I am happy to have spent time completing.
I also have been working on some replacement boat parts on a 72 Willard. Pieces that have gone missing after several owners. V birth rails for the filler cushions. Blocks for the swing up berth in the salon. All being completed from teak. I'd like to stain it slightly as the teak in the boat is red. Replacements are turning out nicely. Pictures to follow in the next few days.

On to the Bartender.
Starboard and Port ply now has 6oz fiberglass that has been trimmed to size. Today I worked on dry fitting the spray rail, using 1/4" lag bolts, shim washers on the backside. I think I am going to run down some peel ply and just fill the backside with epoxy. I haven't yet made that decision but will by tomorrow.

Most recent pictures on
https://www.facebook.com/PNWboatworks?ref=hl

bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

Re: PNW Boat Works, a Bartender build.

Cool. I, too, build wooden boats and usually have one on top of my 06 SMB. I get way more comments on the kayaks or canoes up top than on the SMB, but I guess that almost everyone in Bend, OR has owned, been in, or wanted a SMB due to the people that live here. Check out https://www.facebook.com/eagerbeaversurfco for the latest in my wooden surfboards and standup paddle boards.
bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Way cool, thanks for sharing. Great finish job! I am thinking of building a few for the waters around here for next summer. Need to make room in the shop!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

What an amazing week at PNW Boat Works last week. Finally finished up the spray rails on both sides of the boat. Scarfed the joint in the white oak and mounted today. Last week I decided to test the limits of perfection and made a chair. What an experience. You'd have to see the chair to understand all that went into it and how nice it is. Needless to say I really enjoyed the process and learned quite a bit throughout. Next step for the BT is to begin the process of putting the bottom on. I'll start that tomorrow. Starting with the bow and working my way back. I'll be allowing a full day to mount the bow panels. They need some real help to make the bend that is needed
Old 11-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

The impact of hanging an eight foot sheet on the frames. It was a good day! By Friday the bow should be complete!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #6

Keep up the good work. I for one would like to see more pics posted up. Cant wait to see you turn it over!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

I have more on my facebook and website. Pnwboatworks.com. I'll try to post more as things progress. Tomorrow illt be installing the other half of the bow panel. Maybe (maybe) I'll start on some of the other panels as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #8

Great progress on the BT over the last few days. Finished the bottom panels, filled the screw holes, taped the seams and laid down a layer of 6oz fiberglass. I decided since I am building this to be beachable to double up on the glass around the Keel so I have about two feet of fiberglass running down the center. I'll be mounting the keel, chine and then another layer of epoxy to fill in the weave. Just a few weeks away from flipping her!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

Fresh Paint

Well - today was a great day! Put down the first coat of bottom paint on the BT 20.5. Found out I still have a little work to smooth out the bottom to my liking but it really came out quite nicely. I am looking forward to sanding (yes I said that...hit me in the head with a tack hammer) and putting down another coat. I was surprised as to how little I used in paint, it really went the distance. About 32 oz would have had some left over, made way too much but better that than have to wait another 30 minutes of sweat time. I was happy with the cut line too. I'll be adding a Navy boot too.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #10

Update

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I have really been focusing on getting some mile markers finished at the shop. Two weekends ago a handful of people came over to help with the boat flip. It went really well, better than expected. Since then I have been busy fairing the hull sides, then cutting and mounting the carlins. The stern carlin had to be cut five different times. Slight defects in the ply and snap three separate times. The fourth and fifth pieces went just fine, laminated up and used just about every clamp in the shop. Very happy with the results. Today I spent the bulk of the day fairing the carlins, sanding out some of the spots that will be nearly impossiable to get to once the deck goes on. I have decided to cut the deck in the next couple days but will hold off on the stern so that I can lay down some good fillets, epoxy and paint. I'll then enclose the space behind the motorwell. This will make for a little dry storage and positive flotation.