Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Pre trip psych!?

Okay, I post this question for all vanners on this site. My buddy owns an EB E350 02 SMB, and I own an 07 RB E350 homebuild/quigley, both are V10's. Anyway we planned a trip to start this Friday and last for the entire week. During the planning we did some little things to our vans, LED swaps, filling propane, tranny flush, re-adjusting hellas 4000's (for the 30th time it seems). Anyway, we both realized that the excitement via the prep-work was consuming us, we can hardly wait to get out of the gate!

Does anyone experience this pre-trip excitement, or are we just dorks? If you do, I won't think your a dork too, but that will make us somehow normal?

Anyway, today look at your van and think, "Yep it's mine, yep it's bad ass, yep it goes where other RV's can't."

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2

Re: Pre trip psych!?

That used to be me. Now I keep on top of maintenance and mostly keep the van ready - add some food and clothes and go. Pre-trip starts when I get home from a trip.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Jeez. Is that how V10 people feel? As a 6.0 guy, I struggle with an overwhelming feeling of dread and hopelessness before a trip.

Then I get over it, and have a great time...

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Dork Here....

I seem to get just about as much enjoyment in thinking about and getting ready for a trip as the trip itself. My problem is I like to add at least one piece of kit to my rig before each trip. As we all know there is always another shiny trinket to add to our rigs.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Dork Here....

I seem to get just about as much enjoyment in thinking about and getting ready for a trip as the trip itself. My problem is I like to add at least one piece of kit to my rig before each trip. As we all know there is always another shiny trinket to add to our rigs.
Maybe that can be a new thread topic- "What are the best quick pretrip mods [shiny trinket]?" It seems I need to bring a little notepad to keep track of things I'd like to fix/add/change on the rig that I wouldn't learn unless I was on a trip thinking, "I need to fix that when I get back."

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

all my trinkets are black, and, yep, that's plural. Been dorkin' on this trip for about 4 months already and got another 3 to go. I gotta take a trip to get away from all the planning and building. Whew, i got about 15 items coming from about 6 different companies as we speak, and Ray is blowin' through Christine's retirement every day.

The strange thing is, I don't know what I'd rather be doing
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

I hear you. We have had a trip planned for early April for the last coupe of months and it seems like every other night I am rechecking routes, campgrounds, weather, etc. The van is just sitting in the barn growing older while I'm chompin' at the bit. Ohio winters seem especially long when you're waiting for the weather to break.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

Pre trip psych!?

It is the expectation that heightens the enjoyment of the actual event.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Pre trip psych!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
That used to be me. Now I keep on top of maintenance and mostly keep the van ready - add some food and clothes and go. Pre-trip starts when I get home from a trip.

Mike
We always say that's what we do but never quite make it the final few yards. We compromise by having the gear boxes labeled and at the ready in the garage.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

If we are planning to leave on Friday at 10 am, we start packing Friday at 9:45 and leave around noon or postpone until the next day.

It is like Christmas shopping - it all gets done Christmas Eve, or it doesn't get done. That way I don't have to think about it all through November and early December.

Come to think of it; we are supposed to go to AZ tomorrow, but don't really need to be there until Saturday mid morning - so no need to hurry.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote