Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

Re: Preppers in the news

Two more stories:

1) we had a huge wind storm which knocked out power to a wide area, trees and power lines down everywhere. First day after I stayed home, there was too much chaos out there. Next day I went out to get gas, driving UNDER some 4' dia tree trunks to get the gas station - the other road had a transformer sitting in the middle of it. I get to the gas station to get gas for the generator and there is a HUGE line going in two directions..... (I live in a rural area so this is not like it is heavily populated). I watched as the people in line started a fist fight over who was next. It doesn't take long before stuff breaks down, if you get between a person and something they perceive as essential to their needs (e.g. food).

2) I was up at the Oso slide for a few days; while this was a type 3 and then type 2 incident, it pulled in resources from all over the state and outside the state for something that was 1 sq mile in size. If there is a larger disaster (Katrina V2, big earthquake) 911 won't be coming to save you, you have to be ready to help yourself and your neighbors (maybe).

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

I'm the guy that heads for the hills away from everyone else when and if some sort of sh...hits the fan, a few guns tons of ammo, fly rods, flies, water purifiers, and a few other basic essentials....food I can shot or catch guaranteed!! It always amazes me what a none violent individual will become in those type of scenarios.
I know places here in the PNW where wild onions,potatoes, apples, mushrooms can be picked all day long and don't forget the berries....
I have tied enough flies during winter months to fish the rest of my life and can tie more with the fur/hair/feathers of the animals killed if I have to:grin:

Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Anyone who as camped a lot for years and accumulated a ton of gear over the years is almost a prepper by default. I think I fall into that category. A couple years ago we had a transformer blow and darkened this whole side of town. You get so used to always having street lights it's surprising how different it all is when totally dark. For fun I gathered up all my battery lanterns and flashlights and lit up every window from the inside. Looked pretty cool.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Preppers and survivalists come in different colors IMO. Obviously the different types can mix.

You have minimalists that rely more on mother nature, like the mountain men of the past.

There are the modern hunter types.

Then you have the backpacker types with modern equipment and is where me and my SMB fit in.

The hardcore preppers are those who plan for long term survival in the event of a world wide catastrophe. Food for years and the stuff required to continue on.

I don't say they all live in fear because much of it can be a hobby. I have a buddy that does the Mountain Man thing as a hobby. If planning for an horrific event make you at ease, so be it. Yeah some of those people are somewhat intense but I still find it interesting to watch some of those shows on TV. I hope I don't have to bug out at anytime in the future having to activate the 3-G's; Guns, Gold, and Getaway.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote